1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult L'Hopital Problem

1. Sep 20, 2006 #1
    I got the following problem in my math class:

[​IMG]

I know that I'm supposed to use L'Hopital's rule, but I have 2 problems. First of all, I don't know how to make that into a fraction, besides putting it all over 1 or making tan negative and putting it under 1. Also, I have no idea how to even find the derivative of that mess.

I know that the answer is e^(2/pi), but I'd like to know how to get it.

Can anybody help me, please?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2006 #2
    Right now it is in indeterminate form, so first thing you will have to do is figure out how to fix that since L'Hopital only works for (inf/inf) and (0/0). You might try making some function i.e. L(x) equal to that limit. Then perhaps use log rules and such. I haven't actually worked it out to see if that would work since that is your job, but play around and you will get it.

4. Sep 21, 2006 #3

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Ok, you can solve the problem like this:
    Let: [tex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (2 - x) ^ {\tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right)}[/tex]
    Now, by taking log of both sides, and using the fact that the function ln(x) is continuous for all x > 0, we have:
    [tex]\ln y = \ln \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (2 - x) ^ {\tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right)} \right) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \left[ \ln \left( (2 - x) ^ {\tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right)} \right) \right] = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \left[ \tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right) \ln (2 - x) \right][/tex]
    The limit in the right is in the Indeterminate form [tex]0 \times \infty[/tex]
    Now, for it to have the form [tex]\frac{0}{0} \quad \mbox{or} \quad \frac{\infty}{\infty}[/tex], we can divide both numerator, and denominator by ln(2 - x), or tan(pi x / 2), like this:
    [tex]\ln y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \left[ \tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right) \ln (2 - x) \right] = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{\tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right)}{\frac{1}{\ln (2 - x)}}[/tex]
    Can you go from here?
    After evaluating the limit in the right, can you find y, i.e the limit of the original problem? :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  5. Sep 22, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. Make the sub

[tex] x=y+1 [/tex]

2. Then

[tex] \lim_{y\rightarrow 0^{+}} (1-y)^{\frac{1}{y}\cdot \[y\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2}(1+y)\right)} [/tex]

U can write it as e^(-lim...) and you may use (if you wish) l'H^opital's rule to evaluate the limit y/cos(pi/2(1+y)) as y tends to zero plus.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?