Difficult mechanics problem

• Thread starter zxfhero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a 2 kg mass is held at rest on a rough horizontal table, connected to a 1 kg mass through a string over a smooth pulley. The question is how far the 2 kg mass will move before reaching its maximum speed. Using equations for tension, friction, and normal force, the relationship between the acceleration of the 2 kg mass and the angle between the string and the horizontal is determined. The relationship between this angle and the time it takes for the 2 kg mass to reach its maximum speed is then discussed, with the conclusion that the net force acting on the mass must be zero for it to reach its maximum speed. The resulting calculation shows that the 2 kg mass
zxfhero
1. A mass of 2 kg is held at rest on a rough horizontal table with coefficient of friction μ = 0.5. A string is attached to the mass and is hung over a smooth pulley. A 1 kg mass is suspended from the other end of the string. The top of the pulley is at a height of 1 m above the table surface, and the 2 kg mass is initially at a horizontal distance of 2 m away from the pulley as illustrated in the diagram below.
untitled.jpg

The question is:
How far will the 2 kg mass have moved before it reaches its maximum speed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation?

rl.bhat said:
What is the equation?

More importantly, what is the question?

welcome to pf!

hi zxfhero! welcome to pf! :smile:

dunno what the question is :confused:

but i'll guess that the answer has something to do with knowing that tan = opp/adj, sin = opp/hyp, cos = adj/hyp :wink:

zxfhero said:
1. A mass of 2 kg is held at rest on a rough horizontal table with coefficient of friction μ = 0.5. A string is attached to the mass and is hung over a smooth pulley. A 1 kg mass is suspended from the other end of the string. The top of the pulley is at a height of 1 m above the table surface, and the 2 kg mass is initially at a horizontal distance of 2 m away from the pulley as illustrated in the diagram below.
View attachment 31592

I am going to assume that you are looking for the instantaneous acceleration of the 2kg mass. In order to find this, use:
[tex]\sum F = ma = 2a [/tex]

and use the fact that the tension in the string can be calculated at the 1kg mass to be:

[tex]T=mg-ma=g-a[/tex]

Now consider all of the forces acting on the 2kg block:
1. There are the horizontal (Tx) and vertical (Ty) components of the tension force.
2. There is the gravitational force downward
3. There is the normal force upward; the normal force will be equal to the gravitational force minus the vertical component of the tension force.
4. There is the frictional force backward; the frictional force is equal to the coefficient of friction times the normal force.

The vertical forces will cancel each other out, and leave you with just the horizontal forces. This makes your force equation:
[tex]\sum F = 2a = T_x-F_f[/tex]

Now just substitute in your expressions for the tension, the frictional force, and then the normal force in order to find the instantaneous acceleration.

(If instead, you are looking for a general case solution, I recommend setting up the equation in terms of the second derivative of r, and the angle that the string makes with the horizontal, and then once your equation is all set up, change all of your r's and angles into x's and y's. Then you will have a differential equation in terms of just x's, and can solve that.)

The question is:

Thanks all above

(just got up :zzz: …)

ok, show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

m1g-T=m1a1
Tcosθ-μ(m2-Tsinθ)g=m2a2
What is the relations between a1 and a2?

Last edited:
zxfhero said:
m1g-T=m1a1

erm :redface:

i] forces are vectors, so you need two equations, one for x and one for y

ii] they can't both be m1

iii] what about the friction?

see above
my english is poor,i can't express my idear correctly

zxfhero said:
m1g-T=m1a1
Tcosθ-μ(m2-Tsinθ)g=m2a2

ah, that's right!

(except your normal force is slightly wrong … move the "g" around a little :wink:)
What is the relations between a1 and a2?

you can work it out from the length of the string from m2 to the pulley … you know that has acceleration -a1 :smile:

1.jpg

relationship between θ and t, how to determine?

zxfhero said:
relationship between θ and t, how to determine?

Try using:

[tex]cos(\theta)=\frac{x}{r}[/tex]

where x is the distance of the 2kg mass from the upright, and r is the amount of string between the 2kg mass and the pulley.

Then, you should be able to determine r as a function of l, and x as a function of r and y.

zxfhero said:
The question is:

Thanks all above

When the 2kg mass reaches its maximum speed, its acceleration should be zero.

If the 2kg mass's acceleration is zero, the net force acting on it should be zero.

The easiest approach to this problem, is therefore to ignore the initial conditions, and simply solve for the location, x, where the net force acting on the 2kg mass is zero.

Thanks above, calculate the result. Movement of 1.4 m.

1. What are the common obstacles in solving difficult mechanics problems?

The main obstacles in solving difficult mechanics problems are typically lack of understanding of the underlying concepts, unfamiliarity with the problem-solving techniques, and poor problem-solving skills. It is also common for these problems to involve complex mathematical equations and require a lot of time and effort to solve.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for difficult mechanics problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for difficult mechanics problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of mechanics. Practicing regularly with various types of problems and seeking help from experts or peers can also help improve your problem-solving abilities.

3. Can I use real-world examples to better understand difficult mechanics problems?

Yes, using real-world examples can be a useful way to understand difficult mechanics problems. By relating the problem to a real-life scenario, you can better visualize the problem and apply the appropriate concepts and equations.

4. How can I break down a difficult mechanics problem into smaller, more manageable parts?

Breaking down a difficult mechanics problem into smaller parts can make it easier to solve. This can be achieved by identifying the key concepts and equations involved, and breaking the problem down into smaller sub-problems. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with difficult mechanics problems?

Yes, there are several online resources and tools that can assist with difficult mechanics problems. These include online tutorials, problem-solving forums, and interactive problem-solving software. It is important to use these resources as a supplement to your own understanding and problem-solving skills.