Difficult mechanism problemhelp

• Thread starter shiznites
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the student is struggling to figure out how to do a mechanism for a reaction and is asking for help. The student starts by reducing the epoxide using a protonating agent and then breaking one of the C-O bonds. This leads to the formation of the ester bridge. The student then tries to Fischer esterify the ester bridge but is unsuccessful. The student then tries to dehydrate the molecule but is unsuccessful.
shiznites
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY II

Homework Statement

I spent hours trying to figure out how to do this mechanism but I always get stuck. Its tricky and will make you think.. think you can figure it out?

z157831749.jpg

Homework Equations

Figure out the mechanism just using acid (H+)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by reducing the epoxide by protinating and was left with a -OH group on each carbon that made up the epoxide. Using one of those -OH groups I attack the carbonyl on the opposite side (using the -OH group as a nucleophile).

Basically I don't know where to go from there or if that's even a correct start. I sat here for awhile staring at my 3D model and came up nowhere. I know that somewhere down the line there will be dehydration somewhere.

Your help is greatly appreciated =]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the rightmost ring in the product. Assume that the carbonyl carbon is preserved in the reaction. Count the carbons starting with carbonyl then methylene then the two bridged carbons and finally the oxygen. How many units in the ring? How many carbons? Assume that the bridged carbon to oxygen bond in the ring is preserved in your mechanism. Now you know what part of the molecule is unchanged in the mechanism. Start your mechanism by protonating the epoxide as you suggested and then break one of the C-O bonds. Remember that one of those C-O bonds winds up in the product (so don't break that one!) and the carbon attached to it becomes a bridged carbon.

I figured it out.

Hydrolysis to the epoxide which breaks it open. Then Fischer esterification which forms the ester bridge. Upon the completion of Fischer the adjacent C-C bond breaks to reform the carbonyl from the intermediate. This leaves a cation. Dehydrate and bam.

1. What is a difficult mechanism problem?

A difficult mechanism problem is a problem that involves understanding and analyzing complex mechanical systems. These systems may have multiple components and interactions that make it challenging to determine the overall behavior or function of the system.

2. How can I approach solving a difficult mechanism problem?

One way to approach solving a difficult mechanism problem is by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help in understanding the individual components and their interactions, and then combining them to understand the overall behavior of the system.

3. Are there any strategies or techniques for solving difficult mechanism problems?

Yes, there are several strategies and techniques that can be helpful in solving difficult mechanism problems. These include visualizing the system, using mathematical models, conducting experiments, and seeking input from others with expertise in the field.

4. What are some common challenges in solving difficult mechanism problems?

Some common challenges in solving difficult mechanism problems include the complexity of the system, limited knowledge or understanding of the system, and the need for specialized tools or equipment. It may also require a significant amount of time and effort to analyze and solve the problem.

5. How important is it to solve difficult mechanism problems in the scientific field?

Solving difficult mechanism problems is crucial in the scientific field as it helps in advancing our understanding of complex systems and developing new technologies and solutions. It also allows for the improvement of existing systems and the creation of more efficient and effective mechanisms.