Difficult nuclear physics exercise

In summary, the table has data on the decay rates of different nuclids over time. The person is supposed to use the table to determine how many nuclides are in the sample and their half-lives. They should try to fit the data to a function, and if they have no idea what a Laplace transform is then they should nevermind.
broegger
nuclear physics exercise

The activity from a mixed radioactive sample is measured at different times and given in a table like this:

Time (h)...Decays/sec
-----------------------
0.0 ...... 7500
0.5 ...... 4190
1.5 ...... 3100
: ...... :
: ...... :
12.0 ..... 280

I am now supposed - based on this table - to determine how many different nuclids the sample consists of along with their half-lives. How can I possibly extract that information uniquely from that table (the numbers in the table aren't exactly the right ones, since I can't remember them).

maybe the table needs some explanation, because of the crappy layout; the left-hand column is the time in hours and the right-hand column gives the corresponding activities (I haven't written the complete table).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, I would suggest making a plot of the data to get a feel for it.

One approach is to do a least squares fit but you'd have to do it several times for varying numbers of isotopes.

You might also try doing a numerical Laplace transform. I'm not sure if it can be done but ideally you would see a spike for each nuclide.

Thanks for answering.

I'm not sure; do you mean I should try to fit the data to functions like this:

[tex] f_n(t) = A_1e^{\lambda_1 t} + A_2e^{\lambda_1 t} + \ldots + A_ne^{\lambda_n t} [/tex]

for various [tex]n[/tex] (corresponding to the number of different isotopes) and see which fit is the best. If so, how can I do this?

I have no idea what LaPlace transformation is, so I don't think this is what we're supposed to do.

Tiiiiide! ;)

broegger said:
Thanks for answering.

I'm not sure; do you mean I should try to fit the data to functions like this:

[tex] f_n(t) = A_1e^{\lambda_1 t} + A_2e^{\lambda_1 t} + \ldots + A_ne^{\lambda_n t} [/tex]

for various [tex]n[/tex] (corresponding to the number of different isotopes) and see which fit is the best. If so, how can I do this?

I have no idea what LaPlace transformation is, so I don't think this is what we're supposed to do.

Yes, that is what I mean with regard to fitting the data.

Also, if you have no idea what a Laplace transform is then nevermind!

Weee! I managed to show that n = 2 using Matlabs curve fitting toolbox. Thank you very much for helping me.

1. What is the purpose of a difficult nuclear physics exercise?

The purpose of a difficult nuclear physics exercise is to challenge students and researchers to apply their knowledge and skills to a complex problem in the field of nuclear physics. It allows them to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as deepen their understanding of the subject matter.

2. How can I approach a difficult nuclear physics exercise?

To approach a difficult nuclear physics exercise, it is important to first understand the principles and concepts involved. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use appropriate equations and formulas to solve each part. It is also helpful to consult with peers or instructors for guidance and clarification.

3. What are some common challenges in solving a difficult nuclear physics exercise?

Some common challenges in solving a difficult nuclear physics exercise include understanding and correctly applying complex theories and equations, dealing with large amounts of data, and accounting for all relevant factors and assumptions. It may also involve encountering unexpected obstacles or errors in calculations.

4. What resources are available to help with a difficult nuclear physics exercise?

There are various resources available to help with a difficult nuclear physics exercise. These include textbooks, online tutorials and resources, study groups, and consulting with instructors or experts in the field. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in the fundamentals of nuclear physics.

5. How can I improve my skills in tackling difficult nuclear physics exercises?

To improve your skills in tackling difficult nuclear physics exercises, it is important to regularly practice solving different types of problems and to seek feedback and guidance from instructors or peers. It is also beneficial to continuously deepen your understanding of the subject matter through self-study and staying updated on new developments in the field.