1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult problem about Simple Harmonic Motion using only mass to frequency ratios

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It has recently become possible to "weigh" DNA molecules by measuring the influence of their mass on a nano-oscillator. Figure shows a thin rectangular cantilever etched out of silicon (density 2300 {\rm kg/m^3}) with a small gold dot at the end. If pulled down and released, the end of the cantilever vibrates with simple harmonic motion, moving up and down like a diving board after a jump. When bathed with DNA molecules whose ends have been modified to bind with gold, one or more molecules may attach to the gold dot. The addition of their mass causes a very slight-but measurable-decrease in the oscillation frequency. A vibrating cantilever of mass M can be modeled as a block of mass {\textstyle{1 \over 3}}\,M attached to a spring. (The factor of {\textstyle{1 \over 3}} arises from the moment of inertia of a bar pivoted at one end.) Neither the mass nor the spring constant can be determined very accurately-perhaps to only two significant figures-but the oscillation frequency can be measured with very high precision simply by counting the oscillations. In one experiment, the cantilever was initially vibrating at exactly 13 {\rm MHz}. Attachment of a DNA molecule caused the frequency to decrease by 57 {\rm Hz}.

What was the mass of the DNA?

The dimensions of the beam are 4000nm, 400nm and 100nm

2. Relevant equations

w = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f
    f = w/2[tex]\pi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the mass of the beam to be 3.68 x 10-16 kg. I worked the f = w/2[tex]\pi[/tex] equation to get f= sqrt(M/k)/2[tex]\pi[/tex] and then f + [tex]\Delta[/tex]f = sqrt[(M+[tex]\Delta[/tex]M)/k]/2[tex]\pi[/tex].

Then I took the derivative of w = sqrt(M/3k) to get dw = 0.5w(dM/M) after simplification. I just don't know where to go with it. I know I need to set up a ratio but I just can't put it together in my head. Any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Re: Difficult problem about Simple Harmonic Motion using only mass to frequency ratio

Try to calculate df/dM and express the result in terms of the initial frequency and mass.

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3
    Re: Difficult problem about Simple Harmonic Motion using only mass to frequency ratio

How do I do that though? I calculated df/dM from f = sqrt
    (M/k)/2pi to get (1/4kpi)*sqrt(M/k)*(k/M) but I don't know where to go with this. Did I do the right thing? I know I'm missing a key piece in my understanding but I can't figure out the connection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook