1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult Problem

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solid student in the shape of a rectangular parallelopiped of dimensions 28.0 cm x 19.1 cm x 2.000 m floats horizontally in a calm hot tub filled with warm water; 3.17 cm of the parallelopiped (along the 19.1 cm side) is above the water surface. Find the average density of the student.

2. Relevant equations

maybe density, volume of parallelopiped

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to solve this problem. I tried using geometry to find certain things but it did not help. Any help is appreciated! o:)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2
    i have a feeling it has something to do with the buoyancy force. you know anything about that?

4. Apr 5, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… eureka … !

Hi jrzygrl! :smile:

A rectangular parallelepiped (no "o") (also called a cuboid) is just an ordinary rectangular box!

Hint: have you tried thinking about this in the bath, like Archimedes, and then running down the street completely naked, shouting "Eureka!" ? :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?