Choosing the Best Fertilizer: Ammonium Nitrate vs. Liquid Ammonia

• Thread starter Lindy12
  • Start date
In summary: I go to are terrible and I couldn't figure it out from the written formula. Higher percentage of nitrogen would be the better fertilizer.
Lindy12
I'm having trouble with a question and I'm almost too embarassed to ask! I;ve spent the last couple hours trying to figure it out though and am getting nowhere fast.

Liquid ammonia and ammonium nitrate, based on percentage of nitrogen by mass, which of these 2 would be the better fertilizer.

Ammonium Nitrate - NH4No3
Liquid Ammonia - NH3 ??

Where do I start? I did something and got ammonium nitrate as having 35% N, 5% H and 60% O.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Lindy12 said:
I'm having trouble with a question and I'm almost too embarassed to ask! I;ve spent the last couple hours trying to figure it out though and am getting nowhere fast.

Liquid ammonia and ammonium nitrate, based on percentage of nitrogen by mass, which of these 2 would be the better fertilizer.

Liquid Ammonia - NH3 ??

Where do I start? I did something and got ammonium nitrate as having 35% N, 5% H and 60% O.
This one is now going to use percentage masses (as you know) which is what I think would have been better in the other question you did. So now you are going to learn it.

You have the molecular formulae and you can, therefore, work out the molar masses of each. You then need to write out each of the elements in the compound seperately and find there relative atomic mass (which you must know to have found the molar mass). Simple apply the way you work out a percentage to each of the elements and you can find which will have the most.

This may have been what you did but you have not put any workings down so I have assumed you almost guessed the answers. A word of caution: make sure you write what you have done, no matter how silly, so we can see where you are going right/wrong and can help you to proceed.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S.
Lindy12 said:
I know you may say this is really small but it is important.

You either have to change the N in No3 to a M (for molybdenum) or you need to make the o in No3 a large, capital O so it represents oxygen i.e. NH4NO3.

Last edited:
If you're going by mass, you shouldn't have to do any calculations (Assuming you know what the mass of hydrogen relative to nitrogen is)

Well start by observing that

[tex]total~mass~of~nitrogen~in~the~molecule/total~mass~of~molecule[/tex] is the percentage, you can multiply by 100, but it isn't necessary.

Start by calculating everything in terms of a mole basis...say you have one mole of each compound and go from there. Show us what you can do.

The Bob said:
I know you may say this is really small but it is important.

You either have to change the N in No3 to a M (for molybdenum) or you need to make the o in No3 a large, capital O so it represents oxygen i.e. NH4NO3.
Not small at all! Thank you for pointing that out :)

So...(is this correct?)

Molar Mass of Ammonia (liquid): NH3 – 14.0 + (1.0*3) = 17 Amount of Nitrate: 14/17 (82%)
Molar Mass of Ammonium Nitrate: NH4NO3 14.0+(1.0*4)+14.0+(16.0*3): =80 Amount of Nitrate: 28/80 (35%)

Liquid Ammonia has a higher percentage of nitrate and so would be the better fertilizer.

Your answer seems to be correct however, you could have easily deduced the answer simply by observing the formula, and making a educated estimation.

Lindy12 said:
Liquid Ammonia has a higher percentage of nitrate and so would be the better fertilizer.

...higher percentage of nitrogen...

Chemical calculators at

1. What makes a question difficult?

A difficult question is one that requires a lot of thought, research, and analysis to answer. It often involves complex concepts or multiple perspectives, and may not have a clear or definitive answer.

2. How can I approach a difficult question?

To approach a difficult question, it's important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you better understand the question and identify any underlying assumptions or biases. It's also helpful to gather information from various sources and consider different perspectives.

3. What strategies can I use to answer a difficult question?

There are several strategies you can use to answer a difficult question. These include brainstorming, research, critical thinking, and seeking guidance from experts or peers. It's also important to remain open-minded and consider multiple viewpoints.

4. How do I know if my answer to a difficult question is correct?

In many cases, there may not be a definitive "correct" answer to a difficult question. However, you can evaluate your answer by considering the evidence and reasoning behind it, as well as feedback from others. It's also important to continue to reflect and refine your answer as you learn more.

5. How can I improve my ability to answer difficult questions?

Improving your ability to answer difficult questions takes practice and patience. Some ways to improve include reading and learning about different topics, practicing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and seeking feedback and guidance from others. It's also important to approach difficult questions with an open and curious mindset.