How Do You Solve a Sequence Summation Problem with Variable k?

• Thread starter david18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses a sequence of terms defined by Un = 5n + 20 and the relationship between the sum of the first N terms and the sum of the first kN natural numbers. The homework equations of sum of first N natural numbers and sum of sequence are mentioned. The attempt at a solution includes substituting kN into N in the first equation, setting it equal to the second equation, and solving for N. The final expression is N = 45 + 5N - k / k^2, but it is noted that there may be a typo in the original equation.
david18

Homework Statement

A sequence of terms U1, U2, U3, ... is defined by Un = 5n + 20

If the sum of the first N terms of the sequence defined above equals the sum of the first kN natural numbers, show that:

N = 45 - k / k^2 - 5

Homework Equations

Sum of first N natural numbers = N(N+1)/2

Sum of sequence = N(50+(N-1)5)/2 (knowing that a=25, d=5)

The Attempt at a Solution

I put the substituted kN into N in the equation N(N+1)/2 to give me kN(kN+1)/2.

I then made kN(kN+1)/2 = N(50+(N-1)5)/2 and solved from there which eventually got me to:

k^2N^2 + kN = 50N + 5N^2 -5

(I then divided both sides by N as N is always positive)

N = 45 +5N -k / k^2

...the +5N makes it wrong. I don't know where I've gone wrong, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your last expression is right, the only thing you need to do is solve for N.

david18 said:

Homework Statement

k^2N^2 + kN = 50N + 5N^2 -5
This one should be k^2N^2 + kN = 50N + 5N^2 -5N, but I suppose this was an inconsequential typo.

(I then divided both sides by N as N is always positive)

N = 45 +5N -k / k^2
Dividing by N is OK, but this is not the result. Just divide the above with N (all the terms contain N so this is easy), and then group terms with and without N.

1. What is a difficult sequence problem?

A difficult sequence problem is a type of mathematical or computational problem that involves finding the next term or pattern in a sequence of numbers, letters, or other elements. These problems can be challenging because they often require creative thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How do you approach a difficult sequence problem?

There are a few different strategies you can use to approach a difficult sequence problem. One approach is to look for patterns or relationships between the elements in the sequence. Another approach is to try different techniques, such as using algebraic equations or creating a table or graph to help identify the pattern.

3. What are some common types of difficult sequence problems?

Some common types of difficult sequence problems include arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and Fibonacci sequences. These problems can involve finding the next number in a series, identifying a rule for the sequence, or determining the missing term in a sequence.

4. How can difficult sequence problems be useful?

Difficult sequence problems can be useful in a variety of fields, including mathematics, computer science, and engineering. They can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as provide a way to model and understand complex patterns and relationships.

5. Are there any tips for solving difficult sequence problems?

Some tips for solving difficult sequence problems include breaking the problem into smaller parts, trying different approaches, and checking your work to make sure it follows the given rules or patterns. It can also be helpful to practice solving different types of sequence problems to become familiar with common patterns and strategies.