1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult sequence problem

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the triangle inequality (many times) and the formula for the partial sums of a geometric series to show that for m>n

|s_m - s_n| <= r^(n-1)*(1/1-r)|s_2 - s_1|

2. Relevant equations

geometric series s = 1/1-r = 1 + r + r^2 + r^3...

3. The attempt at a solution

my first step was to multiply the terms inside the absolute to get 1/(1-r)

|s_m - s_n| <= r^(n-1)*|(s_2/1-r) - (s_1/1-r)|

next I expanded the geo. series as follows

|s_m - s_n| <= r^(n-1) *

|(s_2 + (s_2)*r + (s_2)*r^2 +...+ (s_2)*r^(m-1)) - |(s_1 + (s_1)*r + (s_1)*r^2 +...+(s_

1)*r^(m-1))|

then I applied the triangle inequality... many times

r^(n-1)*|(s_2 + (s_2)*r + (s_2)*r^2 +...+ (s_2)*r^(m-1)) - |(s_1 + (s_1)*r + (s_1)*r^2 +...+(s_1)*r^(m-1))|

<=

r^(n-1)*|(s_2 - s_1)| + r^(n)*|(s_2 - s_1)| + r^(n+1)*|(s_2 - s_1)| + ... + r^(m+n-2)*|(s_2 - s_1)|

is this close to the right path or did I make a mistake? thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An even more relevant equation is that [itex]s_m= 1+ r+ r^2+ ...+ r^m[/itex]

But you don't know this is true. This is what you WANT to prove.

I think you are going on the right path- but backwards!

I would do this: [itex]|s_m- s_n|\le |s_m- s_(m-1)|+ |s_(m-1)+ s_n|\le |s_m- s_(m-1)|+ |s_(m-1)- s_(m-2)|+ |s_(m-2)- s_n| etc. until you have steps of 1 from s_m to s_n. Then use the fact that s_(k+1)- s_k= r^k so you have a sum of r^k from r^n to r^m. Then factor out r^n.

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    [itex]|s_m- s_n|\le |s_m- s_(m-1)|+ |s_(m-1)+ s_n|\le |s_m- s_(m-1)|+ |s_(m-1)- s_(m-2)|+ |s_(m-2)- s_n| etc. until you have steps of 1 from s_m to s_n. Then use the fact that s_(k+1)- s_k= r^k so you have a sum of r^k from r^n to r^m. Then factor out r^n. [/itex]

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4
    thank you for your time. When i use the fact that

[itex]s_(k+1) + s_k = r^k[/itex]

[itex]|s_m - s_n|<=r^(^n^-^1)(|s_(_m_) - s_(_m_-1)|+|s_(m-1) - s_(m-2)|+...[/itex]

then the term on the left hand side in the inequalities (i.e[itex] s_m in |s_(m) - s_(m-1)|)
    [/itex]
    is the first term in an infinite series and the second one is also the first term in another infinite series.

therefore the sum of their infinite differences is[itex] 1/(1-r) * |s_2 + s_1|[\itex]

did I factor out the n correctly? i also still dont know why we have s_2 and s_1

and they are 1 step apart

does this sound right? thanks!

6. Nov 15, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you need to practice putting { } around subscripts and superscripts but it looks like you have figured out this problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?