1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult System of Equations

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I'm stuck on a system of equations I am left with at the end of a dynamics problem.

[itex]
    a=-b+v
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    x=-b+vcos(30)
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    y=vsin(30)
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    171.5=20b^2+5a^2
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    a^2=x^2+y^2
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    10x-40b=0
    [/itex]
    All in degrees.
    I know I have an extra equation, but I thought I'd include it in case it is easier to solve with a certain five of them. I know it's not as simple as solving for one variable in terms of one other, plugging in and solving. I tried looking at it for ways to recombine the equations- no luck.

Thank you,
    Jack

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Could you clarify which quantities are variables, and which are constants? Is v a variable, for instance?

4. Apr 2, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have 6 equations in 5 unknowns a, b, v, x, y, In this case, there is no solution: the equations are inconsistent.

If you leave out the fifth equation (##a^2 = x^2 + y^2##) you can fairly easily solve the remaining equations, just by expressing a,v,x,y in terms of b (using equations 1,2,3,6) and then finding b from equation 4. To see that the original system is inconsistent, just substitute the resulting solution into the missing equation 5.

5. Apr 5, 2013 #4
    I didn't really go into details to calculate the answer, and with 6 equations to find 5 variables it is more than enough and I assume that all equations are correct (i.e. either equation left out can provides same answer), let's use a coordinate system to solve this problem, plot x-y axis and for equation 5, a^2=x^2+y^2, it is a circle, from there you can easily get your answer.

Let's explain more, equation 2, x-b=vcos30, equation 3 y=vsin30, combine can get (x-b)^2+y^2=v^2, another circle, I think this can gives you a clear picture?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  6. Apr 5, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you did not read my reply: the equations are inconsistent, so they cannot all be correct.

7. Apr 7, 2013 #6
    I think you should really read what I wrote, equation 2 and 3 actually can combine to gives (x+b)^2+y^2=v^2. So there are 5 equations, 5 variables. I don't know where your inconsistent come from, and why they cannot be all correct.

Okay.. yeah previous one I wrote wrongly, it should be x+b instead of x-b.

8. Apr 7, 2013 #7
    a=−b+v (1)
    x=−b+vcos30 (2)
    y=vsin30 (3)
    171.5=20b^2+5a^2 (4)
    a^2=x^2+y^2 (5)
    10x−40b=0 (6)

From equation 6 => x=4b (7)
    From equation 2 => x+b=vcos30 (8)
    square(equation 8) + square(equation 3) => (x+b)^2+y^2=v^2 (9)

Sub equation 7 to equation 9 => 25b^2+y^2=v^2 (10)
    Sub equation 7 to equation 5 => 16b^2+y^2=a^2 (11)
    equation 10 minus equation 11 => 9b^2=v^2-a^2 (12)

From equation 1 => v=a+b (13)
    Sub equation 13 to equation 12 => 9b^2=(a+b)^2-a^2
    8b^2-2ab=0
    b=0 or a=4b

Okay I think Ray is right, my view of the "combining 2 equations" become a circle is a big mistake because of the angle of 30 degree, they are 2 linear equations and a combination of them can't make a circle.

Sorry for the stupid concept.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted