1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult units conversion

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to infer the observed star formation efficiency of the Kennicutt Schimdt law starting from a volumetric SF law.
    The KS law is a relationship between gas and stellar surface density that we can approximate as:

[itex]\frac{d\Sigma_*}{dt}=A\Sigma_{gas}^{1.5}[/itex]

Where [itex]A[/itex] is the efficiency and its values is roughly 2.5e-4 when [itex]\frac{d\Sigma_*}{dt}[/itex] is measured in [itex]M_\odot kpc^{-2} yr^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma_{gas}[/itex] in [itex] M_\odot pc^{-2}[/itex].

Now the problem is I want to derive this efficiency starting from this formula

[itex]\frac{d\rho_*}{dt}=B\frac{\rho_{gas}}{t_{ff}}[/itex]
    where [itex] {t_{ff}}[/itex] is the free-falling time and is equal to
    [itex] {t_{ff}}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{32\pi G \rho_{gas}}}[/itex]

I need to compute B and then convert it in the same units of the Kennicutt Schimdt law.

2. The attempt at a solution

Since the Kennicutt law involes surface density I have multiplied both sides of the volumetric equation by a characteristic scale length [itex]\Delta x[/itex].

Therefore B should be equal to:

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{32\pi G}{3}} \Delta x[/itex]

The things is I had to convert this number from cgs units to the units in which the Kennicutt law is given but I don't get the same order of magnitude. Can you help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I gave this a shot, but it turns out I'm less able than you are at solving this. I would re-post this question in the Advanced forum if no one else here helps you soon.

4. Aug 19, 2011 #3

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Let's see if the units are making sense first:

For [itex]\frac{d\rho_*}{dt}=B\frac{\rho_{gas}}{t_{ff}}[/itex] ,

we have [itex]M_\odot pc^{-3} yr^{-1}[/itex] on the left and

B times [itex]M_\odot pc^{-3}[/itex] divided by years on the right , so B should be dimensionless, no? (I'm taking it that the rho's are volume densities.)

So I don't think [itex]B = \sqrt{\frac{32\pi G}{3}} \Delta x[/itex] can be right.

(And A has units of [itex] \frac{pc }{ M_\odot^{1/2}\cdot yr} [/itex] ,yes? )

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook