1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficulty to find this limit

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello! I'm having difficulty to find this limit: [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{\frac{x^3+1}{x+1}})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is what I'm trying to do to solve this limit: Let [tex]\frac{x^3+1}{x+1}=u[/tex] then
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{u}) = \lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{-1})[/tex]
    I know something is wrong I'm just not sure about what is actually wrong. I'm thinking that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{u})[/tex] Is wrong because that -1!

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All you have done is "hide" the problem in that "u".

I would think that your first step would be to write
    [tex]\frac{x^3+ 1}{x+ 1}= \frac{(x+1)(x^2- x+ 1)}{x+1}= x^2- x+ 1[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  4. Apr 22, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you come up with the above result?
    Factor x3 + 1 .

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4
    Now I can see it!
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}f(x)=3[/tex] then [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 3}\sqrt[3]{u} =\sqrt[3]{3}[/tex] and that means [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{\frac{x^3+1}{x+1}})=\sqrt[3]{3}[/tex]
    Right?

6. Apr 22, 2012 #5
    It's asking what the limit is when x approaches -1 not everything inside the radical. Simplify and cancel first then take the limit. Try factoring the denominator.

edit: ^ you are making this way harder than it really is. Forget the limit, use algebra to simplify the expression then plug in -1 like you would in an function and see what you get.

2nd edit: never mind, you got it

7. Apr 22, 2012 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The last expression should be x2 - x + 1.

8. Apr 23, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks! I'm too use to thinking of perfect squares!

9. Apr 23, 2012 #8

Mentallic

Homework Helper

So you have the fraction [tex]\frac{x^3+1}{x+1}[/tex] and if you plug x=-1 into this, you get the indeterminate form 0/0. Remember that if you plug a value of x=a into a polynomial and it equates to zero, then it means that you have a root at x=a, and thus you can factor out (x-a) from the polynomial.

This was the first step you needed to realize. Since plugging x=-1 into the numerator and denominator equates both of them to zero, then (x-(-1))=(x+1) is a factor of both the numerator and denominator (but in the denominator it's obvious) so you would then need to figure out how to factor x+1 out of the numerator.

10. Apr 23, 2012 #9
    I'd like to say something real quickly. [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to-1}\left(\sqrt[3]{u}\right)\neq\lim_{u\to-1}\left(\sqrt[3]{u}\right)[/itex]. By the same arguments, you could show that [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0}\left(1\right)[/itex], and, by letting [itex]u=1[/itex], [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to0}\left(u\right)=0[/itex], which is obviously not true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook