Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Difficulty with EASY equivalence statement

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1
    I want to be able to prove that

[tex]S=T \, \Leftrightarrow \, \langle Sx\,|\,x \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,x \rangle[/tex]

given that [itex]S,T \in \mathcal{B(H)}[/itex] and [itex]x \in \mathcal{H}[/itex].

If [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex] are bounded linear operators and I suppose that [itex]S = T[/itex] then I have to be able to prove that

[tex]\langle Sx\,|\,x \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,x \rangle[/tex]

Now since [itex]S = T[/itex] then [itex]\|S\| = \|T\|[/itex] and in particular

[tex]\|Sx\| = \|Tx\| \quad \forall \, x \in \mathcal{H}[/tex].

Im not really sure how to progress from here. I hope Im not meant to use the Polarization Identity or something like that. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe I'm missing something deep, but doesn't this follow trivially from the definition of equality of operators?

If [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex] are bounded linear operators, then

[tex]S=T \, \Leftrightarrow \, Sx = Tx[/tex]

for every [itex]x[/itex] in [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex].

Regards,
    George

4. Sep 29, 2005 #3
    Right, but surely I can't just say

Since [itex]S=T \Leftrightarrow Sx=Tx[/itex] then [itex]\langle Sx\,|\,x \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,x \rangle [/itex].

This seems too easy. And how would I prove the other way, ie given that [itex]\langle Sx\,|\,x \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,x \rangle [/itex] prove [itex]S=T[/itex]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  5. Sep 29, 2005 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

Oops, I didn't see the arrow in the other direction - I'll have to think about this. Clearly, [itex]\langle Sx\,|\,y \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,y \rangle [/itex] for every [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] iff [itex]S=T[/itex], but I don't know if this helps.

Regards,
    George

6. Sep 29, 2005 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This doesn't appear to be true, i.e., I think I've found a counterexample.

Take [itex]\mathcal{H}=\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] with the standard inner product. Let

[tex]
    S = \left(
    \begin{array}{cc}
    0 & 1\\
    0 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    T = \left(
    \begin{array}{cc}
    0 & 0\\
    1 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right).
    [/tex]

Then, [itex]Sx = \left(x_2 , 0)^t[/itex], [itex]Tx = \left(0 , x_1)^t[/itex], and [itex]\langle Sx , x \rangle = \langle Tx , x \rangle = x_{1} x_{2}[/itex] for every [itex]x[/itex].

Regards,
    George

7. Sep 29, 2005 #6
    Well...as long as you have a Hilbert space (whose ground field is complex) then if two bounded linear operators [itex]S,T \in \mathcal{B(H)}[/itex] then [itex]S = T[/itex] is equivalent to saying that [itex]\langle Sx\,|\,x \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,x \rangle[/itex]

This is the exact wording of my problem.

8. Sep 29, 2005 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems that the fact the field is [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] is important. It looks like my counterexample doesn't work with [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] replaced by [itex]\mathbb{C}^2[/itex].

Regards,
    George

9. Sep 29, 2005 #8
    Indeed George, the field must be complex.

Anyway, this was all leading to something. I want to actually prove that

[tex]\langle Sx\,|\,x \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,x \rangle \quad \Rightarrow \quad \langle Sx\,|\,y \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,y \rangle[/tex]

for all [itex]x,y \, \in \mathcal{H}[/itex] and for all [itex]S,T \, \in \mathcal{B(H)}[/itex] where [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] is a Hilbert space over [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex].

I am afraid that this is much more difficult and I have an idea that it will involve using the Polarization identity. But I need to sleep first.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  10. Sep 29, 2005 #9

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See this link, page 11 (pdf page 13).

Regards,
    George

11. Sep 30, 2005 #10
    Thanks for the link George, I like the introduction in that pdf.

I want to go on what you said about "clearly [itex]\langle Sx\,|\,y \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,y \rangle[/itex] implies [itex]S=T[/itex]".

I mean, this seems soooo obvious. But I want to justify it. Is the proof of this implication trivial or not?

12. Sep 30, 2005 #11
    I guess it is not trivial.

George, your pdf claims that proving this implication requires an EASY application of the Polarization identity.

13. Sep 30, 2005 #12
    I had a go at it, but as usual got nowhere.

I want to prove that

[tex]\langle Sx\,|\,y \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,x \rangle \quad \Rightarrow \quad S=T[/tex]

for all [itex]x,y \in \mathcal{H}[/itex] and for all [itex]S,T \in \mathcal{B(H)}[/itex].

So I began by supposing that [itex]\langle Sx\,|\,y \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,x \rangle[/itex]. I want to prove [itex]S=T[/itex] but proving [itex]S-T=0[/itex] will suffice.

Now we know that the orthogonal complement of a Hilbert space is 0 (and [itex]S-T=0[/itex]), so it we must show that

[tex]S=0 \quad \Leftrightarrow \langle Sx\,|\,y \rangle = 0[/tex]

for every [itex]x,y \in \mathcal{H}[/itex].

The polarization identity says that

[tex]4\langle Sx\,|\y \rangle = \langle S(x+y)\,|\,(x+y) \rangle - \langle S(x+y)\,|\,(x-y) \rangle + i\langle S(x+iy)\,|\,(x+iy) \rangle - i\langle S(x-iy)\,|\,(x-iy) \rangle[/tex].

14. Sep 30, 2005 #13

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let [itex]A = S - T[/itex]. Then

[tex]
    \langle Sx\,|\,y \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,y \rangle \Leftrightarrow \langle Ax\,|\,y \rangle = 0.
    [/tex]

Fix [itex]x[/itex]. Since the above is true for every [itex]y[/itex], [itex]Ax=0[/itex]. But [itex]x[/itex] was arbitary, and thus [itex]Ax=0[/itex] for every [itex]x[/itex]. Consequently, [itex]A=0[/itex].

Regards,
    George

15. Sep 30, 2005 #14
    Do you need the condition whether x is not 0 since you say it is arbitrary?

16. Sep 30, 2005 #15

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I meant to say it was arbitrary; actually, I said it was "arbitary."

I don't think any restriction needs to be placed on x.

Regards,
    George

17. Sep 30, 2005 #16
    But the condition in the given problem is All x belongs to H, and what if x=0 ? A doesn't need to equal to o but still satisfies the condition Ax=0, I just mean that point.

18. Sep 30, 2005 #17

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's true that if Ax = 0 for every non-zero x, then A = 0, but the case x = 0 doesn't have to be excluded. If Ax = 0 for every x, then A = 0.

Regards,
    George

19. Sep 30, 2005 #18
    If so, the original problem mistook about the condition, not All x,y in H satisfy the problem.

20. Sep 30, 2005 #19
    Is your formula correct ? Can you rewrite it if it were wrong since I don't have the book to check it now ?

21. Sep 30, 2005 #20
    Ok, so I suppose no Polarization identity needed then.

So we know that [itex]\langle Sx\,|\,y \rangle = \langle Tx\,|\,y \rangle[/itex]

then rearrangining gives

[tex]\langle Sx\,|\,y \rangle - \langle Tx\,|\,y \rangle = 0[/tex]

which implies

[tex]\langle (Sx-Tx)\,|\,y \rangle = 0[/tex]

which implies

[tex]\langle (S-T)x\,|\,y \rangle = 0[/tex]

Let [itex]A = S-T[/itex], then

[tex]\langle Ax\,|\,y \rangle = 0[/tex]

Now fix [itex]x \in \mathcal{H}[/itex]. Since the above is true for every [itex]y \in \mathcal{H}[/itex], then [itex]Ax = 0[/itex] for every [itex]x[/itex]. Now if [itex]x=0[/itex] then this does not imply [itex]Ax = 0[/itex]. So for every [itex]x\neq 0[/itex], [itex]Ax=0\,\Rightarrow A=0[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook