Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction and signals

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1
    Hi i am wondering how the diffraction interferes with the signals.. I was reading wikipedia's diffaction artiocle .. bt i cant understand clearly what diffraction causes to an e/m wave.. What i know is that the diffraction is bad some times os some other times is good because we can send waves using diffraction with the earth's surface...
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

The problem arises with destructive interference. If two radiowaves have the same frequency, but are 180° out of phase at some point, then the combined radio signal will be nil, and a radio at that location will be unable to reproduce the radio transmission.

One can see diffraction patterns with visible light with alternating bright and dark lines or concentric rings corresponding to linear (line) or concentric circular diffraction gratings.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?