Diffraction at GCSE Level

• Thread starter Fixxxer
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi guys,

I'm doing an into to diffraction tomorrow, explaining what diffraction is - so light or sound waves spreading out as they pass through a gap, and when it occurs - so it is a maximum when gap size is comparable to wavelength. However I just want to be prepared to answer why this is the case if the kids ask that? Like why does max diffraction occur when the gap size and wavelength are similar and why dies it decrease as the gap size gets bigger.

Does anyone have a good way to explain this to me (so I can get my head round it please!)

Thanks!

:)

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Hi guys,

I'm doing an into to diffraction tomorrow, explaining what diffraction is - so light or sound waves spreading out as they pass through a gap, and when it occurs - so it is a maximum when gap size is comparable to wavelength. However I just want to be prepared to answer why this is the case if the kids ask that? Like why does max diffraction occur when the gap size and wavelength are similar and why dies it decrease as the gap size gets bigger.

Does anyone have a good way to explain this to me (so I can get my head round it please!)

Thanks!

:)
What has your reading and research on this so far shown you? What online encyclopedia-type resources (like wikipedia) have you tapped so far?