Diffraction derivation on Wiki - wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about a potential error on the Wikipedia page for diffraction. The speaker believes that the final integral in the "Quantitative analysis of single-slit diffraction" section is incorrect and that the denominator should not include the 'a' term. They ask for others to verify and potentially correct the page. Another person, Daniel, suggests that C is arbitrary and can be redefined to factor in "1/a".
jetpeach
Hey Everyone, anybody want to verify if what I believe is true- Wikipedia has an incorrect derivation for Fraunhoffer diffraction to calculate the intensity from a single slit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction
The step I believe they "fudged" is the final integral under "Quantitative analysis of single-slit diffraction". The integral is from -a/2 to a/2 when they find it equal to (e^ikax/2z - e^-ikax/2z ) / (2ikax/2z). I believe this is the correct answer for this type of diffraction, but if I remember my integrals I can't see how they get the 'a' term in the denominator. Take a look, let me know what you think, if it really is wrong and somebody can correct the Wiki page, would they do so? (just click edit on the section) Or if we discuss it here and find it is in error, I'll correct it later.
Thanks! jet

Science news on Phys.org
That C is arbitary and can be redefined as to factor "1/a"...

Daniel.

Hi jet,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. After reviewing the derivation on Wikipedia, it does seem that there is a mistake in the final integral. The correct answer should not have the 'a' term in the denominator. This error may have been overlooked by previous editors or contributors, and it would be great if someone could correct it on the page.

In the meantime, I would suggest checking other sources or consulting with a physics professor to confirm the correct derivation. It's always important to double-check information, especially when it comes to scientific concepts.

If you are confident in your understanding of the derivation and the mistake on the Wikipedia page, you can go ahead and edit it. Just make sure to provide a reliable source or explanation for your correction.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for being proactive in ensuring the accuracy of information on Wikipedia.

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or passes through an opening and bends around it, creating a pattern of interference. This can occur with any type of wave, including light, sound, and water waves.

2. How does diffraction work?

Diffraction occurs because when a wave encounters an obstacle or opening, the edges of the obstacle or opening act as secondary sources of waves. These secondary waves interfere with each other, creating a pattern of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in the diffraction pattern.

3. What is the diffraction formula?

The diffraction formula is given by d·sin θ = m·λ, where d is the distance between the obstacle or opening, θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of diffraction, and λ is the wavelength of the wave.

4. How is the diffraction pattern formed?

The diffraction pattern is formed due to the interference of secondary waves generated by the obstacle or opening. This interference creates regions of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in the characteristic pattern of bright and dark fringes.

5. Is the diffraction derivation on Wiki wrong?

Yes, there have been instances where the diffraction derivation on Wiki has been found to be incorrect. This could be due to errors in the derivation or outdated information. It is always important to cross-check information from multiple reliable sources when using information from the internet.