1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction Grating Angles

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm choosing an angle for a diffraction grating such that a laser of particular wavelength λ is retroreflected (reflected back along incident path).

2. Relevant equations
    If you have a better way than using the equation below, feel free to explain. The book that I'm looking through treats the blazed diffraction grating as a set of N slits. This results in the equation

I(θ)=[itex]\frac{I(0)}{N2}(sinc(β)^{2})(\frac{sin(Nα)}{sin(α)})^{2}[/itex]

where β=(kb/2)sin(θ) and α=(ka/2)sin(θ) with b=length of slit and a=distance between center of two adjacent slits

k is the wavenumber(I think).

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I'm looking for is a kick in the right direction. I'm not sure how this equation helps me. I don't know how to use k and and I don't really know a or b (although I could calculate them). I'm not sure how N^2 comes into play since I don't know the total number of slits on the grating. Also I don't know why the total number of slits should play much of a role when the laser is incident on only a tiny portion of the grating. I think there is something fundamental that I'm not understanding. Obviously I want the intensity to be maximized along retroreflected path. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2
    Does anyone know how to determine the angle at which to place a diffraction grating such that a particular wavelength of light is reflected back along the path of incidence? Do I need to rephrase the question? Any help is much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook