Diffraction grating question

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the distances on a screen for the first-order (n=1) hydrogen lines of red 657nm, blue-green 486nm, and violet 434nm, using the equation dsin(theta)=n(lambda). The conversation also mentions using the figures of a transmission diffraction grating with 475 lines/mm, located 2.8m from the screen. The person asking for help has been trying different calculations, but has not yet been able to get the correct answer.
dlucia
Question: Light from a slit passes through a transmission diffraction grating of 475 lines/mm, which is located 2.8m from a screen. What are the distances on the screen (from the unscattered slit image) of the three birghtest (first-order, n=1) hydrogen lines for red 657nm, blue-green 486nm, and violet 434nm.

I do not even know where to begin to solve this equation. The help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlucia said:
Question: Light from a slit passes through a transmission diffraction grating of 475 lines/mm, which is located 2.8m from a screen. What are the distances on the screen (from the unscattered slit image) of the three birghtest (first-order, n=1) hydrogen lines for red 657nm, blue-green 486nm, and violet 434nm.

I do not even know where to begin to solve this equation. The help is much appreciated.

(please use the homework template in future)

what equations do you know that might be relevant?

dsin(theta)=n(lambda)

ok, now apply that equation to the figures in the question …

what do you get? :smile:

I don't know what to do with the theta, since it is not given. and would i say that 1/d=the 475 mm/lines?

and the final units needs to be in cm

Personally, I'd do all the calculations in m and then, if demanded, change the final answer to cm.

I have been trying everything under the sun and still can not get the answer right. i used the equation x=n(lambda)L/d
L=2.8m
Lambda= 657nm
d=(475 lines/mm)^-1

am I incorrect with that or no? Because the answer is still wrong for finding the distance between the slits.

show us your actual calculation and results :smile:

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component that consists of a series of closely spaced parallel lines or grooves etched onto a flat surface. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths, similar to how a prism works.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, it is split into multiple beams that travel in slightly different directions. This is due to the interference between the light waves passing through the grating's lines. Each beam corresponds to a different wavelength of light, resulting in a spectrum.

3. What are the applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings have many practical applications, including in spectroscopy, where they are used to analyze the composition of light sources. They are also used in optical communications, such as fiber optics, and in the production of holograms.

4. How are diffraction gratings made?

Diffraction gratings can be made using various techniques, such as ruling, holographic exposure, and ion-beam etching. In ruling, a diamond stylus is used to scratch grooves onto a metal-coated surface. In holographic exposure, a laser beam is used to create an interference pattern on a photosensitive material. Ion-beam etching involves bombarding a surface with charged particles to create the grating lines.

5. Can diffraction gratings be used with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, diffraction gratings can be used with other types of waves, such as sound waves and radio waves. In fact, this principle is used in many technologies, including antenna arrays for radio telescopes and ultrasonic imaging devices.