1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction grating

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1
    A beam of light is incident normally on a diffraction grating of width 2cm. It is found that at 30 degrees, the nth order diffraction maximum for [itex]\lambda_1 = 5 \times 10^{-5}[/itex]cm is superimposed on the (n + 1)th order of [itex]\lambda_2 = 4 \times 10^{-5}[/itex]cm.

1]How many lines per cm does the grating have?
    2]Find out whether the first order spectrum from such a grating can be used to resolve the wavelengths [itex]\lambda_3 = 5800[/itex] Angstrom units & [itex]\lambda_4 = 5802[/itex] Angstrom units.

My work:

1]If N ruling occupy a total width W, then slit width d=W/N.

[tex]d\sin \theta = n\lambda_1 = (n+1)\lambda_2[/tex]

[tex]{2\over N}{1\over 2} = n\lambda_1 = (n+1)\lambda_2[/tex]

[itex]5000n= 4000(n+1)[/tex] (in Angstrom units).

So, I got: n = 4; which I substituted in the first equation and I got the total number of rulings N = 0.5 x 104

So, number of rulings per cm is: N/Total width = N/2 = 0.25 x 104

Is this part correct?

2]For this part, I can find the difference between the 2 wavelengths:

[itex]\Delta \lambda = 2[/itex] Angstrom units.
    How do I determine whether the grating has good resolving power or not?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2
    i think for your scond one you need to find the distance between n=1 nodal lines for each of the wavelengths and compare with the power of resolution of the human eye (look it up)
  4. Mar 16, 2006 #3
    You mean I have to find the angular separation between the two lines in order to determine whether the resolution is good or not?
  5. Mar 16, 2006 #4
    Hey someone please help me here....I am unable to get any breakthroughs. Different sources give different resolution power for human eye and I don't think it is needed in this problem. Is there some other way of determining whether the resolution is good or not?
  6. Mar 18, 2006 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In this problem, the beam of light is inclined at an angle of 30 degrees to the grating.

[tex]d\sin \theta = n\lambda_1[/tex]

won't be right as you will have to factor in the difference in path length because the beam of light is inclined at an angle of 30 degrees to the grating.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?