1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction grating

1. Jan 26, 2004 #1
    Consider two wavelengths that differ by .6nm and a 1cm diffraction grating that has 105 slits. How great must D (dist. to detector) be in order to resolve these wavelengths from a source containing them at better than ΔY=0.1mm?

From the intensity equation, I find that a maximum will occur whenever Yd/D=n2λ. So I need (solving for D)
    [tex]D=\frac{d\Delta Y}{2\Delta \lambda}=8.3\textrm{mm}[/tex]. My work seems fine, but my answer seems off the mark. .6nm is a small wavelength difference. I'd expect a large D.
    Verify anyone?
    (d is the dist. between slit, which I take to be 1/105cm)
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2004 #2
    I am surprised no one can help me. Has no one ever studied this before?
  4. Jan 27, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your equation seems fishy since it shows no dependence on the number of slits. The more slits in the grating, the greater the resolving power. (Also, the distance D need not be all that big if there are lots of slits.) Check this out:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?