1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction Grating

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    light wavelengths of 520nm and 630nm passes through a diffraction grating that contains 6000lines/cm. a) sketch a diagram of the image produced from m=0 to m=2. label the order of each fringe.b) calculate the angles for the first and second-order maxima that would appear on the screen. c) What is the lowest value of m for which the 520-nm line no longer exists? I have no idea how to do this question:(..
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 12, 2008 #3
    i still don;t get it :(
  5. Mar 12, 2008 #4
    you have all the data u want...
    For (1) , there is a central maximum at theta =0 where the two rays coincide...
    and the greater the wavelength , the greater the theta the ray is for the same order...
    (sin function is increasing between 0 to pi/2)
    (2) sintheta = nlamda/d
    you have the slit separation , lamda and n , so it is possible to calculate

c) No longer exist when sin theta >1
  6. Mar 12, 2008 #5
    the picture will be similar to the one shown in the website?..do i need to use protractor for that?
  7. Mar 12, 2008 #6
    sketch.... I don't think you need to do that:devil:
  8. Mar 12, 2008 #7
    label the order of each fringe? what does this mean?
  9. Mar 13, 2008 #8
    for part b) sintheta=mlmbda/d....do i use both wavelengths? or a difference of the wavelengths?....confused:S
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?