Diffraction Grating: 520nm & 630nm Wavelengths, 6000 Lines/cm, m=0-2 Fringes

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a diffraction grating with 6000 lines/cm to diffract light wavelengths of 520nm and 630nm. The image produced from m=0 to m=2 is shown in a diagram and the angles for the first and second-order maxima are calculated using the formula sin theta = nlamda/d. The lowest value of m for which the 520-nm line no longer exists is determined by finding the point where sin theta is greater than 1. Sketching a diagram or using a protractor is not necessary. "Labeling the order of each fringe" refers to identifying the different orders of diffraction. For part b), both wavelengths can be used to
rojasharma
light wavelengths of 520nm and 630nm passes through a diffraction grating that contains 6000lines/cm. a) sketch a diagram of the image produced from m=0 to m=2. label the order of each fringe.b) calculate the angles for the first and second-order maxima that would appear on the screen. c) What is the lowest value of m for which the 520-nm line no longer exists? I have no idea how to do this question:(..

Physics news on Phys.org
i still don;t get it :(

rojasharma said:
i still don;t get it :(
you have all the data u want...
For (1) , there is a central maximum at theta =0 where the two rays coincide...
and the greater the wavelength , the greater the theta the ray is for the same order...
(sin function is increasing between 0 to pi/2)
(2) sintheta = nlamda/d
you have the slit separation , lamda and n , so it is possible to calculate

c) No longer exist when sin theta >1

the picture will be similar to the one shown in the website?..do i need to use protractor for that?

rojasharma said:
the picture will be similar to the one shown in the website?..do i need to use protractor for that?
sketch... I don't think you need to do that:devil:

label the order of each fringe? what does this mean?

for part b) sintheta=mlmbda/d...do i use both wavelengths? or a difference of the wavelengths?...confused:S

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component that consists of a large number of equally spaced, parallel lines or grooves. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths, similar to a prism, but with much higher resolution.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, it diffracts or spreads out into its component wavelengths. The spacing between the lines of the grating determines the angle at which each wavelength will diffract, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark fringes.

3. What is the significance of the 520nm and 630nm wavelengths in this diffraction grating?

The 520nm and 630nm wavelengths represent the colors green and red, respectively. These specific wavelengths were likely chosen because they are commonly used in experiments and are easily distinguishable by the human eye.

4. What does 6000 lines/cm mean in terms of the diffraction grating?

The term "6000 lines/cm" refers to the number of equally spaced lines or grooves per centimeter on the diffraction grating. This value is important because it affects the resolution of the grating and the amount of separation between the diffracted wavelengths.

5. What does m=0-2 fringes mean for this diffraction grating?

The value of m in this case represents the order of diffraction. The range of 0-2 indicates that the diffraction grating can produce multiple orders of diffracted light, meaning that the light can be separated into its component wavelengths at different angles. This allows for more precise measurements and analysis of the light's properties.