Calculate Angles for Diffraction Grating 1st & 2nd Order Maxima

You also need to find the angles for m=2, 3, and 4. In summary, when light with wavelengths of 520 nm and 630 nm passes through a diffraction grating with 6000 lines/cm, the angles for the first and second order maxima on the screen are approximately 22.2 degrees and 44.4 degrees, respectively. To find the angles for the other orders, m=3, 4, etc., you would use the same equation but with different values for m.
AClass

Homework Statement

Light with wavelengths of 520 nm and 630nm passes through a diffraction grating that contains 6000 lines/cm.

1) Calcualte the angles for the first and second order maxima that would appear on the screen

Homework Equations

sin(Theta)m = m(Lamda)/d

The Attempt at a Solution

[6000 lines/cm]^-1 = 1.667x10-4 cm/line = 1.667x10-6 m/line

d=1.667x10-6 m

-light 1- m=1

sin(Theta)1=[(1)(5.20x10^-7m)]/[1.667x10-6m]
Theta 1 = 22.2 degrees

Am I on the right track? I just have to for the other 3 situations?

Physics news on Phys.org
AClass said:

Homework Equations

sin(Theta)m = m(Lamda)/d
That should be:
sin(Theta) = m(Lamda)/d​
No "m" on the left side of the equation. This makes no difference when m=1, but you'll get the wrong answer when m=2.

The Attempt at a Solution

[6000 lines/cm]^-1 = 1.667x10-4 cm/line = 1.667x10-6 m/line

d=1.667x10-6 m

-light 1- m=1

sin(Theta)1=[(1)(5.20x10^-7m)]/[1.667x10-6m]
Theta 1 = 22.2 degrees
It looks like you really used 630 nm, not 520 nm here.
Am I on the right track? I just have to for the other 3 situations?
You're close to the right track, see my comments above.

1. How do you calculate angles for diffraction grating 1st and 2nd order maxima?

The angles for diffraction grating 1st and 2nd order maxima can be calculated using the formula: θ = sin^-1 (mλ/d), where θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the maxima, λ is the wavelength of light, and d is the distance between the grating lines.

2. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component with a series of parallel lines or slits that are closely spaced. When light passes through the grating, it is diffracted and produces a spectrum of colors.

3. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd order maxima?

The 1st order maxima is the brightest and most intense point of light in the diffraction pattern, while the 2nd order maxima is the second brightest point. The order of the maxima refers to the number of times the light has been diffracted by the grating.

4. How does the distance between grating lines affect the angle of diffraction?

The distance between grating lines, also known as the grating spacing, affects the angle of diffraction by changing the path length difference between the diffracted rays. As the grating spacing increases, the angle of diffraction decreases.

5. What is the practical application of calculating angles for diffraction grating maxima?

Calculating angles for diffraction grating maxima is important in understanding the behavior of light and in various fields such as spectroscopy, astronomy, and laser technology. It also allows for the identification of unknown wavelengths of light and the determination of the spacing of grating lines.