1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction Gratings

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A grating places a spectral line of wavelength 681 nm at 12 degrees in first order. At what angle is a line of wavelength 439 nm observed in second order?

2. Relevant equations

I believe dsinθ= mλ

3. The attempt at a solution

This is where I get lost, I can solve for every problem in difraction ( We did Rayleigh's criterion, double slit / single slit difraction) but I can't seem to be able to start a problem that involves grating, any pointers on how to start would be nice ^^ I just want to know how to approach the problem! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As far as finding the angles for the bright fringes, there is no difference between a grating and a double slit.

One approach to this problem would be to use the information about the 681 nm line to determine the distance d between two slits in the grating.

4. Apr 19, 2013 #3
    Ah, it worked. Thanks a lot ^^ Just a little question, if you don't mind answering it of course. If ever it asked me to look for the distance between the two waves, would I need to compare the equations or something?

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good!

I'm not sure what you mean by "distance between the two waves". Can you clarify that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted