Diffraction HW Help - Calculate d

• Thread starter physicsbhelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the gap separation (d) for a diffraction grating with 600 lines/mm using the equation mwavelength / d = x/L. The group determines that d represents the gap separation and can be calculated by converting mm to meters. They also discuss the maximum order of bright lines that can be formed with a 6330 Angstrom laser and a 600 lines/mm diffraction grating, with the conclusion being the 2nd order.
physicsbhelp
[SOLVED] Diffraction homework help

Homework Statement

calculate d for a diffraction grating with 600 lines/mm.

Homework Equations

mwavelength / d = x/ L

The Attempt at a Solution

well i really don't know what to solve for because i thought the diffraction grating is d.

Physics news on Phys.org
how would you solve for d?

What is d supposed to be? (what does it represent)

d= gap separation

or maybe it means put it in terms of m/lines?

Gap separation would be expressed in units of length, right? So if there are 600 lines per mm, how many mm is one line?

1.66 * 10-3 mm/Line ? is that right and then can i change it to meters to be 1.66* 10-6 m/line

That's how I would do it. I don't know if you need to convert to meters but there's nothing wrong with that.

the portion of the equation x/L is the same as oppostie/hypotenuse so the orginal equation can be written as sin (theda) = m*wavelength / d. Since sin (theda) cannot exeed 1 what is the highest order bright line which can be formed form the 6330 Anstrom (spelling of this unit is probably wrong) laser upon the 600 lines/mm diffraction grating?

i worked the problem and for the answer i got:
the 2nd order?

Looks OK to me.

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when waves encounter an obstacle or aperture and bend around it, resulting in interference patterns.

2. How do you calculate d in diffraction?

To calculate d in diffraction, you can use the formula d = mλ/a, where d is the distance between the slits or grating, m is the order of the diffraction pattern, λ is the wavelength of the incident light, and a is the distance between the slits or grating and the screen.

3. What is the difference between single-slit and multiple-slit diffraction?

Single-slit diffraction occurs when a wave passes through a single narrow slit, resulting in a diffraction pattern with a central maximum and alternating dark and light fringes. Multiple-slit diffraction, also known as grating diffraction, occurs when a wave passes through multiple slits, resulting in a more complex diffraction pattern with multiple bright and dark fringes.

4. How does the wavelength of light affect diffraction?

The wavelength of light affects diffraction by determining the spacing between fringes in the diffraction pattern. The smaller the wavelength, the closer together the fringes will be and the more spread out the pattern will appear. Conversely, a longer wavelength will result in a wider spacing between fringes and a more condensed pattern.

5. Can diffraction be observed with all types of waves?

Yes, diffraction can occur with all types of waves, including sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves such as light. However, the amount of diffraction may vary depending on the wavelength and the size of the obstacle or aperture.