1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction need help bad

1. Apr 5, 2004 #1
    Diffraction......need help bad

Suppose that a single slit diffraction pattern is displayed on a screen. The distance between the first minimum on the left of the screen and the first minimum on the right is 5.4mm. The screen is 0.9m from the slit and the wavlength of light is 546nm. Calculate the width of the slit??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2004 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Simple case of considering the geometry of the situation. The first minimum will occur as ligh has interfered destructively at the first minimum [tex]\Theta_1[/tex]

thus [tex]sin \Theta_1=\frac{\lambda} {b}[/tex]

Where b is the slit width

Last edited: Apr 5, 2004
  4. Apr 5, 2004 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok to find theta is a simple case of geometry. Construct a triangle from the slit to the screen and use the values given to determine the angle of the ray. Once calculated you have lambda so the only thing you don't know is b, which will be the sine of theta divided by lambda.

5. Apr 6, 2004 #4
    could you explain it a little more for me please im still not grasping it 100%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?