1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction of sound wave

1. Apr 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write an experiment to demonstrate the diffraction of a sound wave and specify what has to observe to conclude that wave has been diffracted

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that we've to create diffraction by using a speaker and a slit and a microphone connected to a cro. I dont know what is changed after the wave has been diffracted so we can conclude that wave has been diffracted

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2016 #2
    If there was no diffraction, the sound might emerge from the slit as a parallel beam. But it doesn't.

4. Apr 22, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hint -- are you familiar with what happens in multiple-slit experiments (with light or sound or other waves)?

http://sciencevault.net/11hscphys/82worldcommunicates/822 Sound.htm

:smile:

5. Apr 23, 2016 #4
    I know all the theory but I am asking what results should I portray so I can conclude to an another person the wave has diffracted

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted