Is the Diffraction Pattern from Slits Influenced by Topmost Atomic Layers?

In summary, according to the author, the diffraction pattern of two recti-linear slits is largely due to simple interference between photons comming from each of the slits (Fresnel Diffraction), and not so simple interfere between photons comming through every point in the opening of a single slit (Fraunhofer Diffraction). However, the atoms, themselves, have little to no effect on the observed diffraction pattern.
Buckeye
Is the diffraction pattern of two recti-linear slits or an annular aperture due to the photons that diffract off the atoms located in the topmost atomic layers of the slit itself?

If my explanation of the cause of diffraction patterns is true, then what are the ramifications?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the diffraction pattern from two rectangular slits is largely due to

(1) simple interference between photons comming from each of the slits (Fresnel Diffraction), and

(2) not so simple interfere between photons comming through every point in the opening of a single slit (Fraunhofer Diffraction).

I don't think the atoms, themselves, have much effect on the observed diffraction pattern.

If you're talking about Young's Double Slit experiment the usual explination is photon wave interference. The alternating light and dark areas are from constructive and destructive wave interference of the propogating photon waves from each slit. I'll try to draw and post a picture later if you would like to see.

What is more interesting is what happens if you have a photon gun and fire a ingle photon ever millisecond or so through only one slit. Even if you know the photon gun is shooting through only the left or right slit, you will still end up with an interference pattern even though there is nothing for the photon to interfere with. An explination that I have heard for this is that in an alternate but parallel universe, the other you is shooting photons through the opposite slit you are, and through quantum foam the photon's are interacting and interfering with each other on the quantum level...i think that's just cool to think about.

Classical physics treats light as a wave, but QED etc consider it a particle. If we ignore the fact that light can, in many cases, be treated as a wave, and focus on the particle nature, what is it about the particle nature that produces the diffraction pattern?

Interesting to think about.

Modern Physics considers light as either a particle or wave, whatever fits the situation. Maybe this is one of the times where there is only an explination in the wave form?

1. What is diffraction pattern cause?

Diffraction pattern cause refers to the physical phenomenon in which waves, such as light or sound, are bent or spread out as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. This results in a characteristic pattern of bright and dark spots, known as a diffraction pattern.

2. What causes diffraction to occur?

Diffraction occurs due to the interference of waves. When waves pass through an opening or around an obstacle, they overlap and interfere with each other. This interference causes the waves to bend and create a diffraction pattern.

3. What are some examples of diffraction in everyday life?

Diffraction is commonly observed in everyday life. Some examples include the diffraction of light through a small opening, such as a pinhole camera or a CD, creating a rainbow pattern. Diffraction can also be seen when sound waves bend around corners or through openings, like in a concert hall or a doorway.

4. How does the size of the opening or obstacle affect the diffraction pattern?

The size of the opening or obstacle has a direct effect on the diffraction pattern. A smaller opening or obstacle will result in a wider diffraction pattern, while a larger opening or obstacle will result in a narrower diffraction pattern.

5. Can diffraction be used for any practical applications?

Yes, diffraction has several practical applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and engineering. Some examples include using diffraction gratings to separate and analyze different wavelengths of light, using diffraction to improve the sound quality in concert halls, and using diffraction patterns to measure the size and shape of microscopic objects.