Diffuser Impact on mass flow

• Thread starter airrocket
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Change in gas velocity and pressure entering and exiting a duct or pipe expansion section (diffuser). Looking for a formula to determine velocity, pressure and density of a gas as it exits a duct or pipe diffuser section based on the entrance area to exit area ratio. Ambient temperature, subsonic, subcritical flow.

Answers and Replies

Im pretty sure this has to do with the Steady Flow Energy equation from thermodynamics.

This equation can equate velocities, pressures, mass flow rates, heat input/output and work input/output, enthalpy's and physical changes in height.

for enthalpy use,
h = c(p) dt

For the density of the gas, assuming it is a perfect gas use
P(pressure)*Velocity=m(mass)*R*T(temp in kelvin)

where R=(Universal Gas constant = 8.315)/M ... (M is the molecular mass of the gas)
keep in mind the units of universal gas constant its in "k" or thousand

good luck

Sorry ive made a mistake ..

that second equation is meant to be

P * V(volume) = m R T

note that m /v is density so P/RT = density

hope that helps

Thanks for the tips and equations. Yes I believe that maybe correct also related to Bernoulli's "conservation energy equation only modified for compressible flow. Now I have to figure out how to apply them to solve for the ratio of area expansion to change in velocity or pressure. Gravity does not appear to be a factor so I can ignore it. Once I get one the rest should all follow.

Thanks for the tips and equations. Yes I believe that maybe correct also related to Bernoulli's "conservation energy equation only modified for compressible flow. Now I have to figure out how to apply them to solve for the ratio of area expansion to change in velocity or pressure. Gravity does not appear to be a factor so I can ignore it. Once I get one the rest should all follow.
Gravity can only be ignored if u have a single datum line. This means that the mass flow rate coming into the diffuser is leaving it at the same physical level(height) with respect to a reference plane. If the datum line changes(ie. change in distance from reference plane to the centroid of the diffuser inlet/outlet) between input and output, gravity does become a factor in the steady flow energy equation.

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Expansion of an incompressible fluid through a diffuser can be modeled as Ksum mentions, simply using Bernoulli’s equation (less the ideal gas equation). However, for a gas, it’s not quite so simple. The gas is expanding isentropically, so you have to account for this. See attached.

Attachments

Yes, for now the flow is subsonic yet above M.3 so it is compressible. In the future it maybe supersonic in which case as I see diffusing/converging have opposite effects. Sounds simple yet gets very complex. Appreciate the assistance very helpful seems to confirm what I was thinking.

If the angle is to wide the flow will separate and you will have a total pressure loss hence the flow is not isentropic anymore and bernoulli does not nessesarily aply anymore.