Can a Wide Angle in a Diffuser Cause Total Pressure Loss and Affect Gas Flow?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the Steady Flow Energy equation to determine the velocity, pressure, and density of a gas as it exits a duct or pipe diffuser section. The equation takes into account factors such as mass flow rates, heat and work input/output, enthalpy, and changes in height. Gravity may also need to be considered if the flow is not isentropic. The conversation also mentioned the use of Bernoulli's equation and the potential for changes in flow behavior at different angles.
airrocket
Change in gas velocity and pressure entering and exiting a duct or pipe expansion section (diffuser). Looking for a formula to determine velocity, pressure and density of a gas as it exits a duct or pipe diffuser section based on the entrance area to exit area ratio. Ambient temperature, subsonic, subcritical flow.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Im pretty sure this has to do with the Steady Flow Energy equation from thermodynamics.

This equation can equate velocities, pressures, mass flow rates, heat input/output and work input/output, enthalpy's and physical changes in height.

for enthalpy use,
h = c(p) dt

For the density of the gas, assuming it is a perfect gas use
P(pressure)*Velocity=m(mass)*R*T(temp in kelvin)

where R=(Universal Gas constant = 8.315)/M ... (M is the molecular mass of the gas)
keep in mind the units of universal gas constant its in "k" or thousand

good luck

Sorry I've made a mistake ..

that second equation is meant to be

P * V(volume) = m R T

note that m /v is density so P/RT = density

hope that helps

Thanks for the tips and equations. Yes I believe that maybe correct also related to Bernoulli's "conservation energy equation only modified for compressible flow. Now I have to figure out how to apply them to solve for the ratio of area expansion to change in velocity or pressure. Gravity does not appear to be a factor so I can ignore it. Once I get one the rest should all follow.

airrocket said:
Thanks for the tips and equations. Yes I believe that maybe correct also related to Bernoulli's "conservation energy equation only modified for compressible flow. Now I have to figure out how to apply them to solve for the ratio of area expansion to change in velocity or pressure. Gravity does not appear to be a factor so I can ignore it. Once I get one the rest should all follow.

Gravity can only be ignored if u have a single datum line. This means that the mass flow rate coming into the diffuser is leaving it at the same physical level(height) with respect to a reference plane. If the datum line changes(ie. change in distance from reference plane to the centroid of the diffuser inlet/outlet) between input and output, gravity does become a factor in the steady flow energy equation.

Expansion of an incompressible fluid through a diffuser can be modeled as Ksum mentions, simply using Bernoulli’s equation (less the ideal gas equation). However, for a gas, it’s not quite so simple. The gas is expanding isentropically, so you have to account for this. See attached.

Attachments

• Nozzle.pdf
    670.4 KB · Views: 943
Yes, for now the flow is subsonic yet above M.3 so it is compressible. In the future it maybe supersonic in which case as I see diffusing/converging have opposite effects. Sounds simple yet gets very complex. Appreciate the assistance very helpful seems to confirm what I was thinking.

If the angle is to wide the flow will separate and you will have a total pressure loss hence the flow is not isentropic anymore and bernoulli does not nessesarily aply anymore.

1. What is a diffuser and how does it impact mass flow?

A diffuser is a device that is used to gradually increase the velocity of a fluid while decreasing its pressure. This results in a higher mass flow rate, as the fluid is able to flow more easily through the system.

2. How does the design of a diffuser affect its impact on mass flow?

The design of a diffuser, specifically its shape and angle, can greatly impact its effect on mass flow. A well-designed diffuser will have a smooth and gradual expansion, allowing the fluid to flow smoothly and efficiently through the diffuser, resulting in a higher mass flow rate.

3. What factors can affect the effectiveness of a diffuser on mass flow?

The effectiveness of a diffuser on mass flow can be affected by factors such as the design of the diffuser, the characteristics of the fluid (such as density and viscosity), and the velocity of the fluid entering the diffuser.

4. How can a diffuser be optimized for maximum impact on mass flow?

A diffuser can be optimized for maximum impact on mass flow by carefully designing its shape and angle to ensure a smooth and gradual expansion of the fluid. Other factors, such as the use of a converging nozzle before the diffuser and a larger exit area, can also improve the effectiveness of the diffuser.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a diffuser to impact mass flow?

While a well-designed diffuser can greatly increase mass flow, it can also introduce additional pressure losses and complexity to the system. Additionally, if not designed properly, a diffuser may actually decrease mass flow. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the design and application of a diffuser to ensure it has a positive impact on mass flow.