Is it Taylor Dispersion or Something Similar in Drug Injection?

In summary, diffusion and dispersion are processes that involve the movement of particles from high to low concentration. Diffusion is random, while dispersion is the scattering of particles. Factors affecting their rate include temperature, molecular weight, and concentration gradient. They are important in biology and chemistry for various processes, and can be controlled through factors and barriers.
paxprobellum
I'm having a wording issue in a paper I'm writing. Specifically, I'm trying to decide between arguing something is "diffusion" vs. "dispersion". Can anyone point me to a reference that clearly demarcates between these?

In specific, I'm referring to the diffusion/dispersion of an injected drug in the bloodstream.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is diffusion and dispersion?

Diffusion and dispersion are two related processes that involve the movement of particles or molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.

2. What is the difference between diffusion and dispersion?

Diffusion refers to the random movement of particles down a concentration gradient, while dispersion refers to the spreading or scattering of particles in different directions.

3. What factors affect the rate of diffusion and dispersion?

The rate of diffusion and dispersion is affected by temperature, molecular weight, and the concentration gradient between the two areas.

4. How is diffusion and dispersion important in biology and chemistry?

Diffusion and dispersion play a crucial role in many biological and chemical processes, such as gas exchange in the lungs, transport of nutrients and waste products in cells, and chemical reactions within solutions.

5. Can diffusion and dispersion be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, diffusion and dispersion can be controlled or manipulated through various factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration. In addition, certain barriers or membranes can also be used to control the movement of particles.