Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion coefficient.

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Diffusion coefficient.

Hi everybody

I have a Nitrogen atom sitting at the octahedral site in fcc iron. I have calculated the minimum energy path (diffusion path) when moving the Nitrogen atom to the neighboring octahedral site.

My question is:
    How can i calculate the diffusion coefficient? (only considering the diffusion in that one direction)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi tkjacobsen, welcome to PF. The standard way is to estimate [itex]D[/itex] for interstitial diffusion is

[tex]D=\frac{r^2 \nu}{6} \exp\left(\frac{-G_m}{kT}\right)[/tex]

where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance between sites, [itex]\nu[/itex] is the attempt frequency (the characteristic vibration frequency in the crystal), and [itex]G_m[/itex] is the energy barrier involved in jumping from one interstitial site to another.

Edit: Sorry, I really should have given a reference. Try Allen and Balluffi's Kinetics of Materials, Porter and Easterling's Phase Transformations in Metals and Alloys, or any good kinetics book.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  4. Feb 29, 2008 #3
    Thanks alot, this was exactly what I was looking for.

Best Regards
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?