1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion - Epidemiology PDE Model

1. Nov 30, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm wondering if there is an explicit traveling wave solution to a simple epidemiology diffusion model. This model is a basic representation of rabies spread among organisms. Rabies causes its victims to become delirious; hence the diffusion there.

Here x is the spatial variable and t is the temporal variable. r, a, and D are all positive parameters. S represents susceptible fox not yet infected with rabies and I represents infected fox. S_0 in particular is the initial number of susceptible fox.

2. Relevant equations

The system is

partialS/partialt = -rIS
    partialI/partialt = rIS - aI + D*(partial^2 I/partial x^2)

with boundary conditions S(inf)=1, I(inf)=0, S'(-inf)=0, I(-inf)=0 and initial condition (S,I) = (S_0, 0).

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a DVI solution file I wrote showing that a solution exists (I find a heterocline between the two relevant equlibria in the SI-plane). It uses linear stability/nullcline analysis, not terribly complicated. Email me (retrofit81@aol.com) or respond here and I can send it to you.

I'd really just like to know if a closed-form expression exists, and if so, maybe a hint on how I can start finding it...?

Regards and thank you in advance,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?