1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion equation in 1D

1. Mar 18, 2007 #1
    The solution to the diffusion equation in 1D may be written as follows:

n'(x,t) = N/sqrt(4piDt) * exp(-x^2/4DT)

where n'(x,t) is the concentration of the particles at position x at time t, N is the total number of particles and D is the diffusion coefficient.

Write down an expression for the number of particles in a slab of thickness dx located at position x.

I assumed it would be the integral of the function between x and x+dx with respect to x.

However exp(-x^2/4Dt) can't be integrated between these values. I have a standard integral for exp(-ax^2) which is 0.5 sqrt (pi/a) but this only applies to integrating between zero and infinity.

If anybody could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, I think I am missing something obvious here and this is a really simple question.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to the forums!

Note that the integrale of any function f(x) between x and x +dx is simply f(x) dx!

[tex] \int_x^{x+dx} f(x') dx' \approx f(x) dx [/tex]

4. Mar 18, 2007 #3
    Wow thanks, incredible that I could have had 14 years of education and never been taught that, thanks very much.

5. Mar 18, 2007 #4
    Actually thinking about it, it's incredible that I couldn't work that out for myself.

6. Apr 29, 2007 #5
    not sure if this is in exactly the right place but its quite late and it is on 1D diffusion. I am given the task of producing a working code for a non-linear 1D diffusion equation given below, it models the diffusion of "hard" spheres in a solution, in a vessel of a particular height. Using the information below i have to construct a finite difference equation and apply neumann boundary conditions, i can obtain the finite difference equations but dont quite understand neumann boundary conditions. The equation is

[​IMG]

i think this FDE is correct, please feel free to correct me rho_c is just a packing constant. I am stuck as to where to go to derive my boundary conditions

any help would be greatly appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?