Solving Gas Diffusion Equations with MATLAB/COMSOL - Mike

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter mike64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffusion
In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's research on gas diffusion in two cases: 3D open space and a horizontal cylinder of infinite length. The analytical solutions have been developed, but the speaker is seeking assistance with developing numerical solutions using MATLAB and COMSOL. Suggestions for tools and software to use were provided.
mike64
hi everybody!
I'm studing the gas diffusion in two cases:

1. first case: gas diffusion in 3D open space in a spheric simmetrical case

∆C(x,y,z,t)-(1/D)(∂C(x,y,z,t))/∂t=0
where:
x,y,z arbitraries
gas concentration =0 for big spheric dimensions lim┬(r→∞)⁡〖C(r,t)〗=0
concentration C is C=C(r,t)

2. second case: gas diffusion in a open orizontal cilinder with a length = ∞

∆C-(1/D)∂C/∂t=0
where:
cilinder length = ∞
cilider simmetrical axis is given by C=C(r,z) where C=Σ of C (gas concentration), Q (gas quantity) and z is -∞<z<+∞
for t=0 C=(r,z,0)=∂(r)/πr

I just have developed the analitic solutions but my problem now is to develop the numerical solutions with MATLAB and COMSOL and I'm not so close to the softwares.
there is anybody can help me or can indicate me a MATLAB/COMSOL model to modified?
thank you in advance
mike

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of solving gas diffusion equations with MATLAB/COMSOL?

The purpose of solving gas diffusion equations with MATLAB/COMSOL is to accurately model and analyze the behavior of gases in different environments. This can help researchers and scientists understand how gases diffuse and interact with other substances, and can also be used to predict and optimize gas diffusion processes in various industries.

2. What types of gas diffusion equations can be solved with MATLAB/COMSOL?

MATLAB/COMSOL can be used to solve a wide range of gas diffusion equations, including Fick's laws of diffusion, the Stefan-Maxwell equations, and the Navier-Stokes equations. Additionally, the software allows for the incorporation of various boundary conditions and other factors that may affect gas diffusion.

3. What advantages does using MATLAB/COMSOL have over other methods of solving gas diffusion equations?

One of the main advantages of using MATLAB/COMSOL for solving gas diffusion equations is its versatility and ease of use. The software allows for complex equations to be easily input and solved, and also has visualization tools that make it easier to analyze and interpret the results. Additionally, MATLAB/COMSOL can handle multiphysics simulations, making it a more comprehensive tool for studying gas diffusion.

4. Can MATLAB/COMSOL be used for both 2D and 3D gas diffusion simulations?

Yes, MATLAB/COMSOL can be used for both 2D and 3D gas diffusion simulations. The software has various built-in solvers that can handle both 2D and 3D models, and also allows for user-defined equations and boundary conditions to be applied in either dimension.

5. Is MATLAB/COMSOL suitable for simulating real-world gas diffusion scenarios?

Yes, MATLAB/COMSOL is a powerful tool for simulating real-world gas diffusion scenarios. The software has been extensively used in various industries and research fields to accurately model and predict gas diffusion behavior, and has been validated through experimental data. However, as with any simulation tool, the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made in the model.