1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion Module in Comsol Multiphysics

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    I'm running some calcualtions with the diffusion and convection-diffusion modules in Comsol multiphyics. Recently I've encountered a strange phenomenon which I'd be very happy if someone had also encountered and handelled with:
    First I take a simple 2 dimensional diffusion problem on a 1*1 cm square, taking two parallel sides to be insulating and on each one of the other sides i demand a certain different concentration, e.g. 0 and 1. Now Comsol does a perfect job for this very simple problem. Plus, if I'm trying to evaluate its success (by looking at the res_c_cd variable in the convection-diffusion module with zero convection) it gives very good results (residuals of about 1e-8).
    However, if I take the same problem like before but now I'm demanding the concentrations only on a portion of the two parallel (let's say on half of each side I demand a certain different concentration and the other half I take as insulating) I get residuals of 7-8 orders of magnitude bigger than before, and more important I don't get flux conservation of the total system.
    Please help me!
    Thanks,
    Uzik

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted