How Accurate Are Calculated Diffusion Coefficients of H2 and He into Air?

In summary, the coefficient of diffusion of H2 into Air and He into Air was calculated using Hirschfelder's method based on Lennard Jones Potential in his book "Molecular Theory of Gases and Liquids". The figures obtained were D_{H_2-Air}=7,78 \cdot 10^{-5} m^2/s and D_{He-Air}=7,17 \cdot 10^{-5} m^2/s for T=300K and P=1atm. However, the speaker is now in search of experimental validation and has not found any relevant tables or handbooks. The Engineering Toolbox provides experimental values of 0.756 cm^2/sec for H2 and 0.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have calculated the coefficient of diffusion of H2 into Air and He into Air as Hirschfelder do so based on Lennard Jones Potential in his book about "Molecular Theory of Gases and Liquids". My figures are:

[tex]D_{H_2-Air}=7,78 \cdot 10^{-5} m^2/s[/tex]

[tex]D_{He-Air}=7,17 \cdot 10^{-5} m^2/s[/tex]

both of them for [tex]T=300K[/tex] and [tex]P=1atm[/tex]. I am looking for experimental validation. I have searched in the web for tables, and in my library for handbooks, but I have not found any interesting. Do you have some experimental table which can confirm my calculated coefficients?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the Engineering Toolbox, H2 = 0.756 cm^2/sec and He = 0.697 cm^2/sec at room temperature.

1. What is diffusion of H2 into air?

Diffusion of H2 into air refers to the process by which hydrogen gas molecules (H2) move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration in the air.

2. What factors affect the rate of diffusion of H2 into air?

The rate of diffusion of H2 into air is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the size of the H2 molecules. Higher temperatures and lower pressures generally result in faster diffusion rates, while larger H2 molecules may diffuse more slowly.

3. How is the diffusion of H2 into air measured?

The diffusion of H2 into air can be measured using various techniques such as gas chromatography or mass spectrometry. These methods involve analyzing the concentration of H2 in the air over time and calculating the rate of diffusion.

4. What are the applications of studying diffusion of H2 into air?

Studying the diffusion of H2 into air is important in various fields such as environmental science, chemical engineering, and materials science. It can help us understand and predict the behavior of gases in the atmosphere, as well as develop more efficient gas separation and purification processes.

5. Can diffusion of H2 into air be controlled?

Yes, the diffusion of H2 into air can be controlled to some extent by manipulating factors such as temperature and pressure. For example, in industrial processes, controlling these factors can help optimize the efficiency of gas diffusion processes.