1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion of particles

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    hi all:
    i have some insects/particles that i placed in the center of an arena, and tracked their position after a set period of time. what i can get in matlab is a 2d scatter plot (several hundred x,y points). i have several different types of particles that show a larger or smaller degree of spread from the center, and have collected their endpoints (i don't have individual trajectories).

can i do something more interesting to communicate just 'how scattered' these particles are after time t? any good tutorials on this given my data (time 1, distance 0; time 2, distance X)? i think i might not be looking for a "diffusion coefficient", since i'm looking at single particles and not concentrations.

i think i might be looking to understand something called a "correlation time".

Thanks for any ideas

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2
    When you say 2d scatter plot, do you mean t, r, θ or equivalent (t, x, y)? If you are tracking insects, do you expect any "clumping" meaning natural attractors (social behavior)? Do you have several different simultaneous insect types? Like predator-prey? Measurement of many individual insects is sufficient to get a diffusion coefficient. Sometimes the diffusion coefficient depends on insect concentration (density), like locusts. Locusts begin swarming when a critical density is reached. See

http://www.k8science.org/news/news.cfm?art=2564

Bob S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook