Diffusion Phenomina: Exploring the Quantum Force

• Thread starter Wishbone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffusion
In summary, Diffusion is a random walk phenomenon that occurs at the atomic level. It is not driven by pressure, but rather by collisions between atoms and molecules. The velocity of fragrance particles can depend on the pressure of the atmosphere, as the rate at which they travel is affected by the number of molecules in between destinations and the density gradient of the molecules.
Wishbone
This phenomina I really don't undertsand. I know that a difference in 2 pressures will cause a force through P= F/A, but what I want to know is, what is type of force of it, what's going on, on the quantum level?

Physics news on Phys.org
Diffusion isn't so much a pressure driven phenomenon as it is a random walk phenomenon. At the atomic level, a gas has atoms or molecules each at a specific location and with a specific velocity. It doesn't take much time for any of them to bump into another. When that happens, the atom or molecule changes direction. This process repeats over and over.

So, for example, I open my bottle of cologne and set it on the counter. Some of the molecules head straight out into the air. They don't travel very far before changing direction because they collide with the air molecules. After billions of deflections left and right, forward and back, up and down a few of them finally make their way to my olfactory nerves and I detect the fragrance.

so why would the velocity of those fragrance particles depend on the pressure of the atmopshere. Or in general terms, how come the larger that pressure difference the quicker the particles move.

Those are two different questions.

For the first question, the rate at which the cologne molecules travel toward the "destination" depends on how many molecules of air there are in between.

And for the second question, you're really asking about the density of cologne molecules. If there is no gradient in the density of cologne molecules then the average rate at which one small region of space sends cologne molecules to, say, a neighboring region of space is exactly the same as the rate at which molecules from the second region are transported to the first.

In the presence of a density gradient of cologne molecules, molecules from a denser region will, on average, enter a region of lower density more frequently than those going from the lower density region to the higher density region.

What is diffusion phenomena?

Diffusion phenomena refers to the process by which particles or molecules move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. This is due to random motion and the natural tendency of particles to spread out and fill available space.

How does diffusion occur?

Diffusion occurs due to the random motion of particles, which is driven by the kinetic energy of the particles. As particles move and collide with each other, they spread out and fill available space, resulting in diffusion.

What is the role of quantum force in diffusion phenomena?

The quantum force plays a crucial role in diffusion phenomena as it governs the interactions between particles at the quantum level. This force helps to determine the direction and rate of diffusion, as well as the overall behavior of particles in a system.

Can diffusion be explained by classical mechanics?

While classical mechanics can provide a basic understanding of diffusion, it is not sufficient to fully explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level. To fully understand diffusion phenomena, the principles of quantum mechanics must be taken into account.

What are some practical applications of studying diffusion phenomena?

Studying diffusion phenomena has many practical applications, such as understanding and predicting the spread of pollutants in the environment, developing new drug delivery systems, and improving materials design for various industries. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as biology, chemistry, and engineering.