Solving I-128 Atom Equations: A Homework Challenge

In summary, the experiment involves creating I-128 by bombarding I-127 with neutrons. The creation rate is 1.5E6 I-128 atoms per second and the half-life of I-128 is 25 minutes. The equation that represents the number of I-128 atoms as a function of time is dy/dt = (1.5E6)t - ay, where a is the decay rate in e^(-at) and y(t) is the number of I-128 after time t. The solution to this equation involves finding a particular solution and adding it to the general solution, resulting in a limit of less than 4.5E9 I-128 atoms after a very long time.
6Stang7

Homework Statement

In an experiment, the isotope I-128 is created by bombarding I-127 with neutrons. This creates 1.5E6 I-128 atoms per second. Initially there are no I-128. The half-life of I-128 is 25 minutes. Find the equation that represents the number of I-128 atoms as a function of time.

Homework Equations

dy/dt=creation rate-decay rate

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up dy/dt=(1.5E6)t-ay.
a is the decay rate in e^(-at), and y(t) is the number of I-128 after time t.
I tried solving this as a first order linear equation and got a horriable answer. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution may be a little messy, but I don't think it it's horriable. The general solution to the ode is C*e^(-at) as you know. Just find a particular solution and add it. It should just be a linear function. Post your solution if you really need more advice.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10112&stc=1&d=1179896478.jpg

Attachments

• Equation.JPG
    Equation.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 413
I would have solved the ode by first solving y'+ay=0, getting Ce^(-at). Then found a particular solution to y'+ay=kt by observing a linear function will work, setting y=At+B, substituting it in and solving for A and B, getting (kt/a-k/a^2) and then adding it to Ce^(-at). But that's not that different from what you did.

I think I have it, I just want it to get check. At first, my thinkging was that in 25 mins 2.25E9(1.5E6*1500seconds) I-128 atoms are created. If I double 2.25E9, I get 4.5E9. Once there are that many I-128 atoms, then in 25 minutes, half of 4.5E9 will decay; however, in 25 mins 2.25E9 will have been created. However, thinking about that now, I see an error in my logic. The only way 2.25E9 atoms can be created in 25mins is if there is no decay rate. That being said, limit to the number of atoms that will exist after a very long time must be less then 4.5E9. I worked the problem over again this morning with fresh eyes and got this. Does it look good? Seems correct.
attachment.php?attachmentid=10118&stc=1&d=1179949273.jpg

Attachments

• Equation1.JPG
    Equation1.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 541
This looks much better. The creation rate is constant - not an increasing function of time. Sorry, I didn't catch that. Thinking more about the mechanics of the solution than the actual problem.

1. What is the purpose of solving I-128 atom equations?

The purpose of solving I-128 atom equations is to understand the behavior and properties of the I-128 atom, which is a radioactive isotope of iodine. This can help in various fields such as nuclear physics, medical research, and environmental studies.

2. What is the difficulty level of solving I-128 atom equations?

The difficulty level of solving I-128 atom equations can vary depending on the complexity of the given equation. It typically requires knowledge of mathematical concepts such as algebra, calculus, and differential equations, as well as a thorough understanding of atomic structure and nuclear physics.

3. How do I approach solving I-128 atom equations?

The best approach to solving I-128 atom equations is to break down the equation into smaller, more manageable parts. This can involve identifying the variables and constants, simplifying the equation, and using appropriate mathematical techniques to solve for the desired variable.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving I-128 atom equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving I-128 atom equations include not accounting for units, using incorrect mathematical operations, and not double-checking the solution for accuracy. It is also important to understand the physical meaning and limitations of the equation being solved.

5. Are there any resources available for help with solving I-128 atom equations?

Yes, there are various resources available for help with solving I-128 atom equations. These can include textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It may also be helpful to consult with a teacher or tutor for additional guidance and clarification.