1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diganolizing a Matrix?

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let Matrix A =

[2, 1, 0, 2]
    [-1, 0, -1, 0]
    [2, 1, 0, 1]
    [1, 0, -1, 1]

Find it's transitional matrix C and diagonal matrix D such that A = CDC^-1.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I find the determinant of A-tI and set it equal to 0 to get the characteristic polynomial: t^4 - 3x^3 + 3x^2 - 2. How can I quickly factor polynomials of degree 3 or 4 like this to solve for the eigenvalues? We are not allowed to use calculators or programs on our exam, and we are limited on time. The rest of the process I understand. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If (t - a) is a linear factor of your polynomial, a has to be a divisor of -2. Using polynomial long division check (t - 1), (t + 1), (t - 2), and (t + 2). If one of these works, you'll be left with a third degree polynomial, which you can run the same process on. If you can get another linear factor, you'll have two linear factors and a quadratic, which you can factor by a number of techniques.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook