Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital clock

1. May 6, 2007 #1
    I m going to create a new clock software which can change its time with respect to distance and direction.
    Suppose if a person is in india and he starts his journey off towards london.suppose he starts at 7:00 am(ist). suppose it takes him 8 hrs to reach london. so after reaching london hic watch will show 3:00 pm. but the time at london will be 9:30 am, as because we know that the time difference between london and india is 5:30 hrs.

I just want to know that whether any software created which can solve this problem if yes then please send me the code and if not then wait i m very close to my Dream project.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2007 #2
    GPS solves that too
  4. May 7, 2007 #3

Please tell me the answer and the code
  5. May 7, 2007 #4
    :rofl: That was short and to the point.
  6. May 7, 2007 #5
    code for what? What are you programming in? What is it on? Is it going to be on a laptop? A piece of wearable computing?
  7. May 9, 2007 #6
    The code for the above question(The digital clock). First it is going to be on a laptop then it has to be converted on a clock.
  8. May 10, 2007 #7
    You are going to write it in machine language for a specific microprocessor?
  9. May 10, 2007 #8
    no i am just creating the software with a sensor attatched with the system(pessonal computer). so no machine lang for a specific microprocessor.
  10. May 11, 2007 #9
    How is the laptop supposed to know where it is at? What kind of sensor is it going to have? You need a little bit more than "the code."

Your question would be like me asking, "How do you drive?" and then expecting someone to tell me everything about how to drive. If you want to develop a system for this, then develop a system. If you're looking for a quick and easy solution to your problem then search the web for a program that does this. My cell phone automatically changes the time depending on where I am, but it requires a connection. You will probably want to get a GPS that comes with software that does exactly what you're looking for. Or perhaps you can get the software separately.
  11. May 11, 2007 #10
    This is a non-existent problem. All you need to do is apply the time zone difference once the destination is reached.
  12. May 15, 2007 #11
    sir, tell me something that i can make my project. give me some hint. U have said that GPS solves that too, so whatever GPS has solves , please show me. If there is any picture of that please send me. I will be very thankful to you.
  13. May 15, 2007 #12

Staff: Mentor

GPS give you your position, from which you can find your time zone.

As far as getting people to do your programming for you -- good luck. :uhh:
  14. May 15, 2007 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

GPS solved the problem by launching a constellation of dozens of satellites which broadcast signals to receivers located on the ground. The receiver knows what time zone it is in based on the latitude and longitude it calculates from signals from the satellites.

It isn't solved by a piece of code, nor could it be. If you carry a computer across a time-zone boundary, it must have some way of knowing you've moved it to be able to adjust its time. The computer by itself has no way of knowing about its movements without equipping it with something like a GPS receiver.

There are many GPS receivers which you can connect to a PC. It'd be pretty simple to change the time when moving from one time zone to another. In fact, I'd bet money that the software packages which come with such GPS receivers already do it.

Although english is probably not your first language, your attitude is very poor. No one is going to just give you any code to do anything.

- Warren
  15. May 15, 2007 #14
    I think you are looking for a program in which you input your old an new locations and it looks into a database of locations and automatically changes the time of display to match the difference in time zones?

The clock built into any version of windows will do this. The question of how to recreate it is a question of whether we can access a library of locations and coordinates, and of timezones. Once you have the look up table it should be simple to code in any language, perhaps java if you are looking at a handheld device.

If you want it to change times without input of the user, this requires a device to connect to a Global Positioning Satellite.
  16. May 16, 2007 #15
    This doesn't need a GPS connection... just a connection to the internet and a time server... like time.gov. Windows xp and vista I believe can read country codes/time zones depending on the tracert of the ip address and auto correct.

so.... good luck.
  17. May 16, 2007 #16
    But that can give the wrong time if you connect long distance
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?