Digital Electronics Boolean Reduction

In summary: Reduction questionIn summary, Digital Electronics Boolean Reduction can be tricky, but with the help of a K-Map and a Visual Basic program, it can be done.
DethRose
Digital Electronics Boolean Reduction! Help Please

Ok i need to figure out how to reduce this I've been working on it for 2 days straight and can't figure it out...please help...its due tommorow :uhh: :cry:

[tex](ab)[/tex][tex]([/tex][tex]\overline c + \overline d[/tex][tex])[/tex][tex]+[/tex][tex](a+b)[/tex][tex]([/tex][tex]\overline c \overline d)[/tex]

Engineering news on Phys.org
well good question. I expanded that equation and then threw it in a k-map. I got the exact expanded equation back. I would say that that equation is the simplest form. Hopefully someone can back me up. my kmap was sum of m(4,8,12,13,14).

it can't be the same equation because i was given it for homework like that and have to do a whole project on simplifying it. I need to make the circuit using the least amount of logic gates.

Heres the question i was given in class:

Design a traffic light circuit using the following criteria

1. The light will be green when both lanes A and B are occupied but C and D are not both occupied.
2. The light will be green when either A or B is occupied while C and D are both vacant.

So the formula i have at the beginning of the post is what i created after reading the criteria.

Last edited:
So what was the answer?

DethRose said:
1. The light will be green when both lanes A and B are occupied but C and D are not both occupied.
2. The light will be green when either A or B is occupied while C and D are both vacant.

I actually wrote a Visual Basic program to simulate your logic in your opening post and it does work as you say. However, I couldn't figure out how to reduce it either.

So now I'm curious what the reduction logic is, and how was it arrived at?

I tried using DeMogan's laws, and various other logic rules but I couldn't reduce it either. Somehow though I have a gut feeling that it can be reduced. So now you have me curious. :confused:

I get the same equation back

DethRose said:
So the formula i have at the beginning of the post is what i created after reading the criteria.

If you created this formula what make you so sure that it can be reduced?

I went over your criteria and came up with the exact same formula. Unusually if there's a way to reduce it I'll notice it at that stage of development. I really can't see any obvious way to reduce it.

I even went to a logic circuit simulator on the web and typed in the logic circuit (see attached figure).

I thought that maybe I could see a way to reduce it by just looking at the circuit but I can't see anything there either.

The NOT gates in my circuit were used simply because the simulator would only provide NAND and NOR gates. So they aren't really a part of the main logic. Also the dual outputs represent the central OR in your formula. I just didn't feel like bothering to put in the additional NOR gate with yet another inverter so I left the two outputs hanging. The circuit works as you describe, but again I can't see any obvious way to reduce it.

Attachments

• Logic.GIF
    Logic.GIF
    2.1 KB · Views: 548
If you use a 8to1 MUX with ABC as the select lines and D as the input then you only need one inverter.

Reducing gates or chips?

dduardo said:
If you use a 8to1 MUX with ABC as the select lines and D as the input then you only need one inverter.

Actually I wasn't even thinking in terms of using anything like a multiplexer. I was thinking just in terms of reducing primitive gates. Heck, you can always reduce anything to a single chip if you're willing to use an FPGA or CPLD. :biggrin:

So I wasn't thinking in terms of reducing chips. I was thinking in terms of reducing gates. This is particularly important if you're actually going to be programming FPGAs or CPLDs.

Recheck your assumptions.

This is intriguing. Like with the others, a K-Map shows that this is in minimal form as it has been stated to us. The question, however is, "is there anything else? Has anything else been left out? In particular, are there any additional 'Don't care' conditions? These can be important if there are any."

[ BTW: I'm sorry that I've been away from the forum for so long, however I ran into problems switching from a dial-up access to DSL. It was just one problem after another; including even an apparent mother board failure. ]

KM

What is Boolean reduction in digital electronics?

Boolean reduction is the process of simplifying a logical expression or circuit using Boolean algebra. It involves reducing the number of terms and operators in the expression or circuit, making it easier to understand and implement.

Why is Boolean reduction important in digital electronics?

Boolean reduction is important because it helps to reduce the complexity and size of digital circuits, making them more efficient and cost-effective. It also simplifies the design and troubleshooting of these circuits.

What are the different methods used for Boolean reduction?

The two main methods used for Boolean reduction are algebraic manipulation and Karnaugh maps. Algebraic manipulation involves using Boolean algebra rules to simplify the expression, while Karnaugh maps use graphical representations to identify and eliminate redundant terms.

What are the benefits of using Boolean reduction in digital electronics?

Using Boolean reduction in digital electronics can result in smaller and more efficient circuits, reduced power consumption, and improved performance. It also helps to minimize errors and make the design process more manageable.

Are there any limitations to Boolean reduction in digital electronics?

While Boolean reduction can be very effective in simplifying logical expressions and circuits, it does have its limitations. It may not always be possible to reduce a circuit to its simplest form, and it may also introduce additional delay in the circuit. Additionally, it may not be suitable for more complex circuits with multiple inputs and outputs.