Digital logic equation problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with simplifying an equation using Karnaugh maps. The person is trying to solve an equation using simplifying rules and has gotten stuck. They have provided their attempts at a solution and are looking for advice and possible free or opensource software for visual modeling of the function.
Koopan
Hi,
I'm new to this forum.
My problem led me here.

Homework Statement

I need to solve this, using simplifying rules.
∫ = Ʃ(0,5,6,7,13)

But I always get one extra area when checking with Karnaugh map, which isn't necessary.

Homework Equations

∫() = a' b' c' d' + a' b c' d + a' b c d' + a' b c d + a b c' d

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I get always this as a solution, no matter the order i simplify

∫() = a' b' c' d' + b c' d + a' b c + a' b d

Now when applied to Karnaugh map the areas (equation parts from left to right 1-4) 1, 2, 3 are the solution I get when only using the map. But 4 overlaps with 2 and 3.

http://s8.postimage.org/dbo6zqrab/img.jpg
img.jpg

If anyone has time to help me out, then please do.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Koopan said:
I need to solve this, using simplifying rules.
[itex] \int = \sum (0,5,6,7,13) [/itex]
Can you explain what this means, and how you went about solving it? I might catch on to what you are doing.

The k-map produces the right result: The simplified equation is:

a' b c +b c' d + a' b' c' d'

There is more you can do with your equation

a' b' c' d' + b c' d + a' b c + a' b d

Hint: Consensus Theorem :)

Thank you Ivan92 your advice helped me solve this.

Now as I'm here does anyone know any free or opensource software for modelling this function visually?

Hello, welcome to the forum. It looks like you are trying to simplify a digital logic equation using Karnaugh maps. Karnaugh maps are a great tool for simplifying digital logic equations, but they can be confusing at first. It's important to make sure you are following the correct steps and using the correct rules.

From your attempt at a solution, it looks like you may be missing a step in the simplification process. After you have created your Karnaugh map and identified the groups of 1's, you need to combine these groups using the rules of simplification, such as adjacent squares and squares that wrap around the edges of the map. Once you have combined all the groups, you should have a simplified equation with no overlapping areas.

It's also important to make sure you are using the correct variables and terms in your equation. In your homework statement, you have listed the equation as ∫ = Ʃ(0,5,6,7,13), but in your attempt at a solution, you have used a different equation. Make sure you are using the correct equation for your problem.

If you are still having trouble, you may want to double check your steps and equations with a classmate or your instructor. Sometimes it can be helpful to have a second set of eyes look at your work. Good luck!

1. What is a digital logic equation problem?

A digital logic equation problem involves using Boolean logic and digital circuits to create a logical expression that describes the behavior of a digital system. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of digital systems.

2. How do you approach solving a digital logic equation problem?

To solve a digital logic equation problem, you must first understand the behavior of the digital system. Then, you can use Boolean logic to create a logical expression that accurately describes the system's behavior. This expression can then be simplified and implemented using digital circuits.

3. What are the main components of a digital logic equation?

The main components of a digital logic equation are logic gates, Boolean variables, and logical operators. Logic gates, such as AND, OR, and NOT gates, perform logical operations on Boolean variables, which can have a value of either 0 or 1. Logical operators, such as AND, OR, and NOT, are used to connect these gates in order to create a logical expression.

4. How do you simplify a digital logic equation?

To simplify a digital logic equation, you can use Boolean algebra rules, such as De Morgan's laws and distributive property, to manipulate the expression. Additionally, you can use Karnaugh maps to identify common terms and reduce the number of logic gates needed to implement the equation.

5. What is the importance of digital logic equations in the field of computer science?

Digital logic equations are essential in computer science as they are used to design and analyze digital circuits and systems. They also serve as the foundation for programming languages and computer architecture. Understanding digital logic equations is crucial for building efficient and reliable digital systems, which are integral to many modern technologies.