Digital Logics Synchronous Counter with Asynchronous Reset

In summary: Best of luck!In summary, in order to design a sequential circuit for a modulo 9 counter using T-architecture, JK flip flops can be used to create the T's. The CLR input on the JK flip flop stands for "clear" and can be used to reset the flip flop. A truth table should be created to determine the inputs and outputs of the circuit. The flip flops should be connected in a chain to act as a binary counter. To reset the counter, the CLR inputs of all flip flops can be connected together and toggled with a switch or button. A decoder circuit will be needed to display the counter content on a seven segment display and LEDs. It is also recommended to ask for clarification if needed and
Torma

Homework Statement

Design a sequential circuit, a modulo 9 counter that uses T-architecture. The counter content should be diplayed on a seven segment display and by a set of LEDs. Basically, I have to make a synchronous counter and a asynchronous reset using T FF's. We only have JK FF's though so we have to use them to create the T's. The JK's that we have have a CLR input, which I think has something to do with resetting it, but I can't find that specific info on it and I don't know what I'm supposed to be plugging into it. I'm supposed to fill out a truth table for the RESET and design a circuit with the RESET circuit included and since I can't seem to figure out the reset part of things I'm sort of at a loss

2. The attempt at a solution
Here's what I came up with from the internet and my textbook, but I missed quite a bit of class recently and I'm having a tough time catching up with this stuff. Any help at all somebody could offer would be really appreciated.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/imageinv.jpg/

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for sharing your attempt at a solution. It looks like you are on the right track with using JK flip flops to create the T architecture. The CLR input on the JK flip flop stands for "clear" and when this input is set to a high (logic 1) state, it will reset the flip flop to its default state.

In order to design a sequential circuit with a modulo 9 counter, you will need to first create a truth table for the counter. This will help you determine the inputs and outputs of the circuit and how they will change with each clock cycle.

Next, you will need to use the JK flip flops to create the T architecture. This can be done by connecting the J and K inputs of each flip flop together and using the same clock signal for all flip flops. The output of one flip flop will then be connected to the input of the next flip flop, creating a chain of flip flops. This chain will act as a binary counter, with each flip flop representing a different bit.

To reset the counter, you will need to use the CLR input on each flip flop. This can be done by connecting the CLR inputs of all flip flops together and using a switch or button to toggle the input between a high and low state. When the CLR input is set to a high state, it will reset the counter to its default state.

Finally, to display the counter content on a seven segment display and LEDs, you will need to use a decoder circuit. This circuit will take the binary output of the counter and convert it into a decimal output that can be displayed on the seven segment display and LEDs.

I hope this helps you with your design. Good luck with your project! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

1. What is a synchronous counter with asynchronous reset?

A synchronous counter with asynchronous reset is a type of digital logic circuit that counts a series of clock cycles and resets to a specific value when a reset signal is triggered. This type of counter is commonly used in electronic devices to keep track of time or to sequence events.

2. How does a synchronous counter with asynchronous reset work?

A synchronous counter with asynchronous reset works by using a series of flip-flops that are connected in a specific way to count and reset. The flip-flops receive a clock signal which synchronizes them and allows them to count in a specific sequence. The asynchronous reset signal overrides the clock signal and forces the counter to reset to a specific value.

3. What is the difference between synchronous and asynchronous counters?

The main difference between synchronous and asynchronous counters is the way they handle the clock signal. In synchronous counters, the flip-flops are synchronized to the clock signal, while in asynchronous counters, the flip-flops are not synchronized and can change state at any time. Additionally, synchronous counters require a single clock signal, while asynchronous counters require multiple clock signals to function.

4. What are the advantages of using a synchronous counter with asynchronous reset?

One of the main advantages of using a synchronous counter with asynchronous reset is its ability to accurately count and reset at specific times. This makes it useful for applications that require precise timing or sequencing. Additionally, this type of counter is less prone to glitches and errors compared to asynchronous counters.

5. What are some common applications of a synchronous counter with asynchronous reset?

A synchronous counter with asynchronous reset is commonly used in electronic devices such as clocks, timers, and digital watches. It is also used in industrial automation systems, communication systems, and data processing systems to keep track of time and sequence events. It can also be used in combination with other digital logic circuits to perform more complex functions.