Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital microscope: A question

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1
    I'm hoping this is the best forum for this...

I'm considering buying a digital microscope for my lab. Specifically I'm looking at this model:
    http://www.sunrisedino.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=126
    The reason I'm looking at this is that it's both portable, small and comes with a monitor (so I don't need a PC next to it).

Now, I'm not so sure how these things work in terms of magnification and working distance.
    As far as I can tell from the images and the user manual, in terms of optics you can only control the "magnification" of the scope.
    I'm wondering what this means as far as focusing on the sample goes. Would I be correct to assume that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the magnification setting and the working distance (at which the image will be focused)? So I can't stay at the same distance but change the magnification?

If I'm right then this means that at any given distance there is only one possible magnification. How can I estimate the magnification at a specific distance? I can't get an answer from the seller...
    And If I'm wrong, then how does it work exactly?

Chen

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like it might be a fixed working distance, with the clear plastic tube in contact with the sample.
    Looks like a good idea if you need small portable on-site inspection but for general lab use I would have thought a regular microscope + digital camera would be better/cheaper

4. Aug 14, 2009 #3
    yeah,i have bought a nearly same one from Oplenic Optronics (HangZhou) Office. It seems good .I bought it from the internet and he serves well.you can go to http://www.oplenic.com to find want you want .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook