1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital sampling

1. Dec 19, 2007 #1
    Can someone define the process of digital sampling for me, perhaps a website with some info on it. I'm writing a term paper and I keep running into sampler adds, but no concrete facts. What is the function of sampler?

I'm referring to a device that turns an analog recording into a digital file, what's the process called, where can i hear more about it? A quote would be nice!

Thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2

dst

You want an analogue to digital convertor. The process is called pulse code modulation and it's ingenious and very simple. You assign a discrete voltage to a specific band/range of analogue voltages (or any other quantity), and then give each of these bands its own binary weight/code. Shazzam, you have a digital signal.

4. Dec 19, 2007 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The process is called analog-to-digital conversion. The chips which do this work are called analog-to-digital converters (ADCs).

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?