Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital sampling

1. Dec 19, 2007 #1
    Can someone define the process of digital sampling for me, perhaps a website with some info on it. I'm writing a term paper and I keep running into sampler adds, but no concrete facts. What is the function of sampler?

I'm referring to a device that turns an analog recording into a digital file, what's the process called, where can i hear more about it? A quote would be nice!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2

You want an analogue to digital convertor. The process is called pulse code modulation and it's ingenious and very simple. You assign a discrete voltage to a specific band/range of analogue voltages (or any other quantity), and then give each of these bands its own binary weight/code. Shazzam, you have a digital signal.
  4. Dec 19, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The process is called analog-to-digital conversion. The chips which do this work are called analog-to-digital converters (ADCs).

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?