Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital voice recorder output

1. Dec 25, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

I have a digital voice recorder from Memorex, the only problem being it doesn't hook up to the computer. It does have a earphone jack, though...through which it must output an electrical signal, which reaches the earphone and is converted to sound waves.

But, is it possible to have a device that receives the input similarly from the digital voice recorder, and then writes it to a flash card in a useful format - for instance, mp3 or wav or (probably more feasibly) ogg vorbis?

I'm a high school senior without much experience in messing around with hardware like this, but this *would* be possible, yes? How would I go around doing it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2005 #2
    I just bought a voice recorder with USB output. Connects to the computer, problem solved.

About $99 bucks at your major computer outlets
  4. Dec 25, 2005 #3
    Ah, but that would be no fun. :)
  5. Dec 25, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus

I could tell you go out and find a adc, microcontroller, flash controller, etc, etc, but there is no way your going to build this without:

1) Paying more than just buying the device
    2) Spending lots of time trying to figure out how to put it all together

I would take The_Professional's advice and just go to the store and buy one.
  6. Dec 25, 2005 #5
    all you need is a line in on your sound card, you will need a mini phono jack to mini phono jack lead, plug one in to your digital voice recorder and other into the Mic in on your sound card. Start voice recorder on your PC at the same time you start the playback on your voice recorder.

A bit of quality maybe lost, but you will be able to save the voice as a .wav file on your PC and convert it to whatever u like..
  7. Dec 25, 2005 #6
    yeah - get a program like Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). Then hook up your voice recorder to your mic-in line and record it onto your computer (you'll need a male-male 1/8" jack, which many desktop speakers use, so you can just hijack it for a while). That program will allow you to compress your file to mp3. The only downside is that you must play the whole file onto your computer.
  8. Dec 26, 2005 #7
    The built-in sound recorder in Windows can only record for a minute or two.

It may not be as fun but it sure as hell would save you some unneeded aggravation.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  9. Mar 3, 2010 #8

Homework Helper

The recording software that comes with most sound cards have no such limit.

As a bit of historical trivia, since the 1960's, people have developed custom made recording devices that play back on computer speakers that were the equivalent of a PC speaker (square wave), simply by modulating the speaker on and off at the proper rate after determining how the speaker responds to such modulations. I was impressed the first time I saw a deck of about 300 punched cards (program and data) producing a recorded message on CDC 3150 back in 1970. A few games used this method to produce recorded sounds on PC speakers back in the 1980's, and I was still impressed. Sound cards came out in the late 1980's. Wiki article:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?