1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital vs Analogue Comms

1. Jul 28, 2005 #1
    I found the following on the Edexcel Website:

GCSE Specimen Paper
    Paper 4H
    Physics A [1540]
    URL http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/18085.pdf

Question 1(b)(ii) “Digital signals have an advantage over analogue signals since more information can be sent over the cable. Explain this.”

Answer “An explanation to include: very short time interval between pulses; lots can be placed close together.”

Is this right?
    I've re-read Nyquist, Shannon, Hartley and Turing and I can't find anything like this. Surely the cable IS an analogue communication channel.

If I send two identical signals down two identical channels.
    Both look like digital data. I view one as analogue and the other as digital. Apparently, I get more information out of the identical digital one!

I rushed to my Physics textbook:
    Physics for AQA
    Separate Award Edition.
    Published by Heinemann
    ISBN 0 435 584 219

only to find on page 52,

“Second, a particular cable, optical fibre or carrier wave is able to carry more information if it is transmitted as a digital signal than if it is transmitted as an analogue signal.”

This surely is rubbish too.

I thought there was simple catch-all rule in Physics: "You get nothing for nothing." Apparently in GCSE Physics you can.

Comments? Am I cracking up?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted