Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digitial Camera

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    I need to get a new digital camera thats under $200.00 and has good quality pictures and video.

What do I look for in a good camera? I know its not the MegaPix because the camera I have now is 5.0MP but sucks. So, its gotta do with the quality of the lense. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Think Panasonic.

4. Aug 24, 2008 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can't go too wrong with Canon. Under $200, you'd be looking for a sale price but Canon lenses are second only to Leica.

5. Aug 24, 2008 #4
    I've seen lots of new cameras at best buy in the $150-180 range.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8742239&type=product&id=1202648739174

See, thats $200.00, but whats the quality of this one. Whats better about the more expensive ones? What does one look for in a good camera?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  6. Aug 24, 2008 #5
    I second that...
    I have an Canon S1-IS (3.2Mp). It is 4 years old and still kicking. My only complaint is the lens cap. It uses some kind of fuzzy friction fit and won't stay on.

7. Aug 24, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have an older model of that type of Canon (mine's the SD400 5MP one), and I think the photo quality is pretty good (you can see some of my photo contest entries for an idea of what it does...even with a horrible photographer using it :rolleyes:). I usually leave the digital zoom off and stick with the optical zoom. I'm happy with it as a point-and-shoot, and especially like the size (I actually use it because I can slip it in my pocket or purse when I'm heading out somewhere, so I have it when I want it...anything bigger and I'd tend to leave it home when I don't want to be lugging a camera around). I think the point-and-shoot camera that Zz uses is the 7MP version of the same camera, so again, for comparison, you can look at some of his entries in the photo contests and see what the photo quality is like (those are good representations since they aren't Photoshopped to enhance anything)...and he's certainly a better photographer than me.

Edit: As for what's better about the more expensive ones, look at larkspur's photo entries. :wink: That's what you can do with a really fancy, expensive camera...if you know how to use it right (it would be wasted on me). If you're mostly interested in just taking snapshots for the sake of memories, and not so much for artistic photography, even 8MP is more than you need. You need the fancier cameras if you want the kinds of optics that will give you good resolution and good depth of field for the artistic shots that you might want to enlarge to poster size to frame and hang. Most people don't need that.

8. Aug 24, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check these out too:
    Nikon Coolpix P50
    Nikon Coolpix S550

9. Aug 24, 2008 #8
    Nikon, Canon, and Olympus would be my top three, not particularly in any order.

I've always really liked the Canon Elph series.

10. Aug 24, 2008 #9
    That things huge. I don't want a camera that big.... I want something that fits inside my pocket.

11. Aug 24, 2008 #10
    The first one is too big, but the second one is about right in size.

12. Aug 24, 2008 #11
    My friend she has this small pocket camera that takes amazing pictures but I dont remember the name of it and I lost contact with her. I'll have to hunt her down and ask her.

I dont want a big professional NIKON camera with optional telescopes. A bunch of the grad students have these cameras and one is a professional photographer. I asked him once, but he doesnt know anything about these small cameras. Everything he uses is 1k and up pro stuff.

13. Aug 24, 2008 #12
    Maybe Kodak easyshare.

It is small, inexpensive and takes pretty good pic's.

14. Aug 24, 2008 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you can go a little over $200, you must check out the Canon SD870.

15. Aug 24, 2008 #14
    I have a Canon Powershot SD600 and I love it, it is a fun little camera and is quite small. I'm no pro photographer and it suits me well. It has a really cool feature where you can zoom in on a color in the scene you are going to photograph, select it, and then that is the only color that will show up, everything else will be black and white. I have some really cool pictures taken with that eg a picture of a friend where everything is black and white except their red shirt, or my harley in bright yellow against a bw background.

16. Aug 24, 2008 #15
    Yeah, that's the kind of features I'd like to have. I'm willing to spend more than $200.00 if the price justifies it. In other words, if I pay 30 bucks more, im getting a WAY better camera.

17. Aug 24, 2008 #16
    My camera was around 250 or so I believe.

18. Aug 24, 2008 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

19. Aug 24, 2008 #18
    I only see that as 260.00....this is getting expensive.

Anything above $250.00 is an absolute no no.

20. Aug 24, 2008 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can get the 8.1MP version for $230. Be warned that while it outstrips every other camera in lens quality and zoom range, it's not great for low-light quick shots because it takes about a second or so to focus in poor light (I think they improved on the processor speed for the 9MP version).

21. Aug 24, 2008 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I have an older Nikon Coolpix that I really liked, but they put one out a couple of years ago (a 5 MP) that was a real lemon. I bought one for work and everyone hates it. It's power hungry, so it has bad battery life and while it is recharging the flash, they shut off the lcd to save power. That's really annoying.

My main camera now is a 2 year old 7 MP version of this Sony Cybershot and I absolutely love it. http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/sony-cybershot-t300_reviews.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?